Aerator Pump Replacement

jdbarnett

Cadet
2003 Stratos 195 Pro XL
Are there any tricks to replacing the aerator pumps. I worked on it about an hour last night but cannot get the pump to unthread from black housing it is attached to. Any ideas? Thanks

dannyboy7

Cadet
Re: Aerator Pump Replacement

Start from the outside intake hole on transom. Remove the filter/screen by turning counterclockwise, you should see a loc nut that you will loosen, and then you should be able to remove the aerator pump.Mine was platered in with silicone, which you will want to do when reinstalling.

Re: Aerator Pump Replacement

DannyBoy7 is right. Unscrew the trash screen under the hull, remove the plastic flange nut with a large adjustable wrench, and then whack the pvc threaded pipe back up into the boat with a rubber mallet. This will break the silicone rubber sealant loose and then all you have to do is reach down inside the boat and grab the pump. I replaced both of my aerator pumps last week (which were Atwood 500 gph pumps) with Atwood 800 gph pumps. I found that is was a good idea to unscrew the 90-degree plastic outlet fitting from the old pump and reuse it on the new pump because the new pump does not come with a new fitting. Silicone Rubber sealant is the stuff to use when re-installing. Don't use the polyeurathene sealant if you anticipate ever replacing the pump again because if makes a permanent bond.