Advise for a noob boat owner!

jrbtech

Cadet
Hey all I just found this site. Got any advice for a newB boat owner? I got a 91 Stringray with a Mercruiser Alpha 1 3.0L. Runs like a champ, was garage kept, had a blast last summer..<br /><br />Couple things on my mind, <br />1. I garage kept the boat, what should I do to prepare for this spring/summer?<br /><br />2. What is the best oil filter for my motor? ( not frame please! )<br /><br />3. My motor has a flat spot when I first take off , anything to worry about?<br /><br />4. I want to take care of this boat because we had so much fun we didnt even go on a "real" vacation.<br /><br />Thanks all!<br />-Jim

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Advise for a noob boat owner!

First Welcome to iboats!!!<br /><br /><br />#1 Do you know if any maintenance has been done? If not, water pump impeller, oil change and gear oil change.<br /><br />#2 Use the Merc filter (my .02 and hopefully you haven't started a filter war ;) )<br /><br />#3 Someone more experienced will come along on this one. On my 140 I found that a bottle of any type of gas treatment eliminated it. With stuff, no flat spot, without stuff, flat spot.<br /><br />#4 Good. Sounds like the rest of us . . . :D <br /><br />Edit: JK (Haut) is a better source for #1. What he said . . . :D

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats :) There are quite a few things that should be done.....<br />Is there a service record available as to what was done & when?<br />You should get a service manual for your engine & drive....<br />But, here are a few things that should really be done:Change your oil, replace the water separating fuel filter....<br />Remove drive & grease u-joints, check gimbal bearing for smoothness, grease all zirks on drive & transom shield.....<br />Drain drive & replace with new gear lube, check for any sign of discoloration in lube or metal on magnetic drain plug.....<br />These are the must do's, but there are alot more that should be done.....<br />The service manual will have a full list of what should be performed.....<br />Since this boat is relatively new to you I would probably do them all, so you know what was done..<br />Lastly, the condition of the driveshaft bellows should be thoroughly checked & the water pump impeller in the drive probably be replaced.....<br />At the top of the page is a red 'search button'.....There is alot of info. in the archives on this subject....<br />As far as hesitation .....With the flame arrestor off, (engine off) pump the throttle....Does gas squirt out? You may have a bad accelereator pump......JK

jrbtech

Cadet

What is the part# or filter number for a Merc oil filter for my Alhpa 3.0 ?

crawdadric

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I used Fram PH-30 for my '93 3.0L and somehow I crossed reference the part number to another manufacturer and that lead me to Mobile 1 filter number M1-111. I was looking for a filter with the antidrain valve which keeps the dirty oil from draining to the oil pan.

QC

Supreme Mariner

35-866340Q02