advice/recommendations on reman

Got the dreaded news yesterday about my 93 that's been in the shop for several weeks after water was found in the cylinders and crankcase. Motor was completely broke down and tested and everything checked out fine. Manifolds, risers, heads, block all solid. Only explanation was that it must have come in through exhaust (flappers were gone) and an open exhaust valve. After putting it all back together, mech said it fired right up and no water in oil but after a few minutes, it started hammering somewhere in the bottom end. Most likely a result of the water in oil causing internal part damage.

My life and financial situation right now has me in a tough spot. We owe way more then the boat is worth in it's current condition. My options are sell it and keep paying on something I don't own or invest more money (I've allready blown $1200 on an unfixable problem) in a new motor that I really can't afford. The frustrating thing is the boat is really nice, well cared for and has under 300 hours on it. I hate to just "give it away". The lower unit, and top end mechanicals are in great shape.

Has anyone dealt with Rapido marine on a reman motor? From what I've seen online they seem to be the most reasonable and seem reputable. They have a short block on ebay for around $1400. Would you all recommend going with a short block and using my current heads since they are good or go with a long block. I think Rapido only charges and extra $150 to go from short to long and get the heads.

Appreciate you all letting me cry on your shoulder a bit and appreciate any advice you can lend.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: advice/recommendations on reman

Several people have purchased from Rapido recently, with good feedback.....
Go with the long block......;)

Thanks Haut. From my experience on this forum, I respect your opinions as much as anyones. Rapido only charges another $150 for the long block. If I go that route what is the best thing to do with my motor. Where could I sell it and get a decent price for it besides ebay? There are some good parts there. What will I still need to keep to go with the new long block? I know the periphrials (sp?) like alt., starter, carb etc... but what else?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Intake manifold, all the tin.....
You really will not have much left to sell....
The heads, maybe....​

One thing I might mention is if your old engine was torn all the way down & everything tested out fine, then why do you have a rod/bearing knock?....
If it were truly ripped down & inspected (replace defective parts) & reassembled properly, you should not have any noise at all.....IMHO....
Until it is torn down & inspected again, who knows what is good or bad..........
I know it is easy to Monday Morning QB, but........;)

My novice mind probably can't answer your questions real well but I don't think he got into the bottom half. What I mean is when I stopped by there to look things over(when it was all apart) the top of the block and the piston heads were exposed but not removed. I probably made myself sound even more ignorant by saying that but I don't think he did much more then remove all the "top end" stuff. Going any deeper probably would have really pushed the bill over my head. (as if it wasn't allready)

I sent an email to Raul, Owner of Rapido, and he has my exact motor. Longblock for $1400. From what I've been reading, they seem like the real deal.

If you (or any other seasoned poster) don't mind, take a look at their website and tell me what you think. www.rapidomarine.com

Thanks

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Several people here in the forums are running Rapido engines and i have not heard anything bad at all about them.

Why do you owe the shop 1200 bucks? They should NOT have put the engine back together without a total tear down and inspection.
You may be able to talk them into a lower charge if you let them install the new engine.
Its kind of like "we took it apart and put it together and its still broke,pay us for nothing"
They should work with you on that!
Good luck!!

eriediver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hopefully the shop will work with you on the labor. They should swap out the motor for little or no charge. It's really the mechanics fault that it has a spun bearing (prob. cause of noise), he should have never taken it for that test drive before. Go with the long block. You can always get a crank kit & a set of bearing to throw in your old motor, then you'll have a spare.

Good luck with it.
Let us know how you make out with this.

You're right eire. I think if he would have checked the oil before the test run, it wouldn't have tore things up. That water was probably in that oil from when we were stranded on the water and I kept cranking it over trying to get it to start. If that water was in the exhaust, and he did say an exhaust valve was stuck open, the water could have gotten in that way. He dried the cylinders out but didn't check the oil before the test drive.

My $1200 is for tons of labor, machine shop bill, new battery cables, new flappers. I know this probably sounds crazy but I really do trust this guy. I have no reason to think he is sticking me. He did say he would cut me a deal on labor for an install on a reman.

one more thing. Erie peaked my curiosity. You said I could pick up a crank kit and a set of bearings. Would that be a cheaper option for me then replacing with a reman long block? Obvioulsy it would involve lots of labor but in the winter season their labor rate drops. What does a crank kit and bearings run? Would it be a crapshoot in that their may be more wrong once he got in there. I'm not a very good gambler.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

You will probably pay less labor swapping engines.
You can keep your old engine and go through it over the winter.Then have a spare by next season or sell it to recover some of the long block costs..
Just my opinion..:)

eriediver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've rebuilt lots of engines & also built some 1000+ horsepower engines. I'd do it myself & not have labor costs, but if it's just a crank & bearings shot it'd be worth it to do to resell or have a spare motor. The quicker fix is to buy the longblock & have them rebuild yours over the winter.

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i went to rapido and got an engine..its a nice engine 5.7. but as i said before i would spend the xtra money and get a new one next time..i have seen them after buying mine for like $500 more. but on a budget you got to do what you got to do
bob

riverjet502

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why not just overhaul your current engine? That would be alot cheaper then buying a remanufactured engine. Then you know what you have in your engine. So what if you spun crank bearing. Have the crank ground & polished and go with oversized bearings. A new cast 350 crank in only $350. You don't really know what kind of shape it is in till you tear the rotating assyembly apart and look at it. Might not be as bad as you think? Just a thought for you is all...

some good advice, thanks everyone. I talked to my mech yesterday. He is going to cut my labor costs that I've allready got in half and apply that towards the labor on an install if I go with a reman. He's also going to charge me his cost for parts so far which aren't much other then new battery cables and new flappers. They use Jasper reman motors out of Jasper Indiana. He pretty much said that is all he would install since they (Jasper) have always been really good about warranty coverages. Anyone know about Jasper? The long block for my boat runs right around $2400 with an 18 month warranty.

eriediver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jasper is one of the best reman. companies out there. Outstanding products. Customer service is very good as well. They are good at making sure the customer is happy. Go for it.

You will however have to give up your old motor for a core.

good to hear the positive word on Jasper. You're right about the core return. Honestly, right now I have nowhere to store it anyway and don't/won't have the money to invest in it anyway. I've having enough trouble convincing my wife to invest money in the boat in the first place. It's getting close to becoming my living quarters. At least there is a radio and a cover to keep me dry at night right?

Should I decide to go with a reman longblock, should I invest in new manifolds/risers? According to my mech my current ones look good but the boat is a 93 and I'm sure they are original. Boat only has 260 hours though.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Yup, go with new manifolds.....;)
I know you trust this guy, but I don't.....
$1200 to change a cable, throw some flappers on, sorry no sale......
Of course he will credit ya some, since he overcharged you & did a misdiagnosis from the get go.....
Now he insists that he will only use jasper?....
Not that Jasper's are bad, but I'm sure he will make some dough off of that as well as the reinstall......
An 18 month warranty will get you one season so don't use that for a selling point......
My advice is:
Go with a Rapido reman, get new manifolds/risers with the money you have saved & shop for a new mechanic who won't rob ya.....
The season will be over anyway, by the time it comes together.....;)