Advice Please: Zodiac Zoom See Thru Hull?

abdiver7777

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a used Zodiac Zoom 310 with the clear plexiglas or Lexan (?) see-through hull. It developed a crack that I patched with expoxy and it was good for a couple years. This weekend my foot went through the center of the hull. The boat is in great shape except for this.

Can I just fiberglass over this hull?

Attachments

• boat hole 1.jpg
    boat hole 1.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 0

newuser 10

Recruit
Re: Advice Please: Zodiac Zoom See Thru Hull?

I bought a used Zodiac Zoom 310 with the clear plexiglas or Lexan (?) see-through hull. It developed a crack that I patched with expoxy and it was good for a couple years. This weekend my foot went through the center of the hull. The boat is in great shape except for this.

Can I just fiberglass over this hull?

Hi, have just purchased a zodiac zoom with cracked hull near transom, it looks like the were two previous holes punched in the hull further forward that were glassed over and are still viable, I intend to fibreglass the whole hull and add strenthering timbers "glassed in" and fit a wooden floor with a foam infill, my research has shown the whole thing is practical and cost effective, hope this helps Ps nowhere can I find a lexan hull for this boat to purchase

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

That should be fiberglass-able, IMO. In fact, you may be able to pull a "mold" from a good section further aft. If so, you could end up with a pretty smooth bottom, almost factory shaped. As with any glassing job, preparation and correct materials and temp/humidity conditions are key. I imagine the entire bottom is fragile, so you may as well glass it all. Maybe consider glassing both the inside and outside, but maybe weight is a huge consideration. Prepping that Lexan (?) is really important. Test for good adhesion on a small section with your chosen glass/epoxy formula first. My apologies if you already know this.

Larry

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Looks like floor is completely ruined, too much UV exposure or boaters are too heavy to stand on it. Remove floor from sib and have it duplicated at a fiberglass shop, will have a nice rib.

Happy Boating

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dang, I have to start checking the dates. Yes, that is an old thread.

Larry