Advice On Repair Shop

bigD1031

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all, I'm a new guy around here, been lurking and finally decided to sign up and throw my hat into the mix. (Think this is a great place with tons of useful info.)

Have a quick question............Does anyone know of a decent boat shop to have a boat inspected in Lone Grove Oklahoma? Thinking about buying a boat out there and want to get it inspected by a shop.

Thanks in advance,

Derek

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Advice On Repair Shop

i googled boat, long grove, ok. looks like you only have 5 to choose from, and maybe not that many/

bigD1031

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, I did the same thing and saw that. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with any particular one, these places are like auto mechanics, some are better and more trustworthy than others.

Thanks for the help though.

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

Call whatever insurance company you are going to use. They will have a list of certified marine surveyors. It will cost a bit, but well worth the price.

bigD1031

Seaman Apprentice

Great Idea!!! Now, how much should I expect to pay?

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Call whatever insurance company you are going to use. They will have a list of certified marine surveyors. It will cost a bit, but well worth the price.

Insurance?? What insurance? Like your medical insurance? I dont understand. Why would they know. I dont think he is going to insure the boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

a lot of people carry a rider on there homeowners for there boats.

bigD1031

Seaman Apprentice

You know I have never had boat insurance, how much does it run? (18ft, 5.0 engine, mid 90's model.)

amynbill

Petty Officer 1st Class

You know I have never had boat insurance, how much does it run? (18ft, 5.0 engine, mid 90's model.)
I had always thought it was required? I believe in CT you must have insurance, at least liability anyway.

Not sure if it is the law, but for my own piece of mind, the insurance company was one of the first people I called when I knew I was buying a new boat.

EDIT: It was inexpensive btw, added on to our automobile policy, Geico charged only $380 for the year, that includes coverage while trailering, complete replacement of the boat up to 125% of the value (almost worth crashing!), injury, death etc...

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

I pay about $480/yr on a 2007 Larson with a 5.0MPI. Replacement cost & Liability included.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Yea i also have never had insurance on any boat. I think there is a size that once you go over this size boat that you have to carry insurance. Am i correct? And how is that regulated is it a state thing or a federal thing? I know its something that maybee i should look into. I am spending a lot of money on the old sea ray and with my luck the first time i use it after i get finished with it ill hit a rock and the transom will rip off and then the thing will fall off the edge of the earth, and then catch on fire and then cause a accident between a "strike anywhere matches" truck and a "Propaine" truck.