Advice on pricing my boat...

Haven't been on here in a while everyone so help me if I've put this in the wrong place or it's inappropriate. I'm not trying to advertise my boat on here as I hope to sell it locally. However, I'm thinking you all might be able to help me set a fair price. I have a 91 Chris Craft 167 Concept Bowrider with a 3.0 OMC Cobra sterndrive. It's in overall good condition and the engine runs well with about 650 hours on it. In the 3 years I've owned it, I've replaced torn upholstery, added a new cd player and speakers, fishfinder, and bimini top. The only thing obviously wrong with it is one of the switches that activates the shift interrupt is faulty but I've used to boat without it since I've had it. According to NADA.com, the average retail on the boat, accessories, and trailer is right at $5000. Anybody have any suggestions what I should take for it given I don't want to put anymore money into fixing it and prefer to sell it "as-is"? There are a few minor blemishes here and there but nothing I would think are out of the ordinary for a 13 year old boat.

Walt T

Lieutenant
Re: Advice on pricing my boat...

Look up your model on Boat trader.com and see what they sell for in your area. NADA is just a guide and is usually optimistic.

I looked up my boat already with a model year in each direction and there are only 2 for sale nationwide other than mine. Actually only one of those 2 is even similar to mine and it looks like its been sitting in a museum for 10 years.<br /><br />If you were shopping a used boat and saw mine given the description I gave and I told you the book value was $5K, what would you think would be a fair offer? The price of the shift switch parts it needs are probably less than a hundred dollars and it does run without them.<br /><br />Thanks

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

Deduct the shift interrupt cost plus the labor to replace it. NADA and Kelly Blue Book are prices for boats in average condition with no mechanical problems. Are you pricing with the OMC drive? Since it is no longer made, you might have to knock off a grand or more compared to the same boat with a mercruiser or volvo drive.

Walt T

Lieutenant

Me personally would not pay more than 2K for that.<br />You never know though. I'd have the shifter fixed before you sell.

Maybe I should cut to the chase and rephrase. Does anyone think $4000 is too much to expect as-is? I know OMC isn't made anymore but I'm told plenty of parts are still available and will be for the foreseeable future...

outboardguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think the real value killer is the fact that it has a 3.0l four cylinder motor.Not much power there!

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

You have an entry level boat----a new boater will want it fixed. I agree with Dieselwalt---fix it, clear your conscience, put your price on it and see what happens. Fair price is what someone will pay.

Danny_Ocean

Seaman

$2500 ~ $2900 w/all the little problems fixed and the boat waxed, tuned and cleaned. Now is the time of year to sell, so get busy!<br /><br />D. Ocean<br />Pompano Beach, FLA

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Try at $4000. If you don't get any offers, drop the price. I would fix the problem too. It will end up being the focal point of all your discussions with a tentative buyer...<br /><br />With gas prices that are supposed to go way up by the summer, the 3.0 could be a selling feature.

Walt T

Lieutenant

Remember, If a buyer can find a boat that doesnt need repair for 4K, they'll buy that one.

Thanks for the suggestions. We had a cold snap come through here early this week so I held off starting the boat until yesterday. It starts fine but won't go into forward gear. I had the same exact problem the first of last season so it's probably not a big deal to have fixed or at least it wasn't then. But it was too big a job for me (harder than changing the oil - haha) so I'll look into having the interrupt fixed as well. However, someone mentioned clearing my conscience and I just wanted to say there is nothing to clear. I'm not trying to dup anyone - I just want to sell the boat at a fair price and not give it away. I have used it in it's current condition for 3 years and have also told everyone that has looked at it about the switch.<br /><br />Again, thanks for the feedback but looks like it has to go to the shop first anyway.

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

What I meant was, if you fix it, you can sell it to a newbie with a clear conscience that the boat has no mechanical issues and both the buyer and seller understand that.<br /><br />I did not mean to accuse you of anything, I just read an awful lot of posts out here from buyers who feel they were somehow cheated because they did not ask the right questions and did not know what the heck they were talking about.<br /><br />"Shift interrupt? Is that like a knock on the front door during sex----coitus interrruptus?"<br /><br />Just playin---good luck!

No offense taken but I didn't want to put anymore money into it and actually anymore time since this is prime selling season. However, that's a moot point now. I wouldn't sell it if it was broken beyond use but I've been using it without that switch working since I got it 3 years ago. But I wouldn't dare sell it to anyone without telling them everything I'm aware of.