Advice on looking for my first boat?

Seveice

Recruit
Hi, I am searching for a nice used bay boat to fish the south Louisiana coast. It will need to be shallow less than 2 feet drag, yet sturdy enough to handle the gulf for some occassional offshore rig fishing. It will also be used as a family boat (wife and 2 kids) when not fishing for perhaps a little skiing. Also I will be trailoring it to and from different locations. What is the best recommendation for a good value? How/who do I get the boat and engine checked out by? <br /><br />Any feedback will be appreciated<br /><br />Thanks-Steve

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Advice on looking for my first boat?

Thats a lot to ask from one boat. I would think that any boat that would give your family saftey in the gulf as well as handle the weather that can come up would surely draft more than 2'. You may want to consider which would you spend more time doing and choose what you feel would give your family the most pleasure. A 18' to 20' boat will offer your family all your looking for but may not offer you the offshore use you look for. I don't fish the gulf anymore, I spend all my time on Lake Mi. and surrounding Tributaries. All the same I have two boats. a 22'r for the lake and then just last winter purchased an 16 jetsled for the rivers & smaller lakes. Good Luck in your choices and keep in mind your family as no one can replace the smiles on the kids faces when they haul one in.<br /><br />Ex- Slidell Resident

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Most pleasure boats have less than 2 foot drag.Just make sure that you have tilt and trim to take your prop up to where it does not touch the ground.<br />If you can find a wide body with high gunwhales and a cuddy cabin of let's say 23 foot.You should be able to trailer it on a double axle with surge brakes.If you want to use it in salt water it is a must to have either a closed cooling system or an outboard just to be able to clean out the salt water from your cooling system.Unless you are willing to replace the manifold every couple of years.I could go on but there are other boaters with more experience.<br />Upon reading this again,the name "Grady White" comes to mind

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

We fish mostly in Galveston Bay which is pretty shallow. A few times a year we venture out about 30 miles into the Gulf for snapper, king, ling and dorado. We have 2 grandkids and I don't swim so high gunwhales and a solid boat were very important to me.<br /><br />We settled on a 21' Wellcraft center console. It was affordable, drafts about 2'3", the grandkids would have to climb to fall out, has plenty of storage, I've rigged it with a t-top & electronics and it has the range for offshore trips. This will be our 4th season and the only thing I would change would be the engine size. It has a 150 Johnson which will cruise it about 35 but I would prefer a little more power.

gst

Cadet

Steve,<br /><br />In looking, you are going to have to decide whether you want an offshore boat or an inshore boat. I have fished the Louisiana coast some over the years, and I know that the rigs aren't very far out, but I also know that the Gulf can become very rough very fast.<br />I just got rid of a 20' Wellcraft Step-V, It managed the heavy seas pretty well because it was a heavy boat with a flared V bow and the sides were high. It was not what you would call a "Bay Boat". I would not want to try to pull a skier because it didn't get moving that quickly because of the weight, even with a 150hp Merc outboard like I had.<br />As Mr. Ladyfish mentioned, the 20' Wellcraft Center Console may be more what you are looking for, it is basically the same boat I had but without the Cuddy Cabin so it is a much lighter boat.<br /><br />I currently have a 17' SeaPro center console with a 90hp Yamaha, I bought it specifically for use in and around Mobile Bay and close in offshore fishing in the gulf. I would be wary of venturing too far into the gulf in my new boat, or even going into the gulf unless the weather and sea conditions were somewhat calm. But as far as a Bay Boat it is great and draws less than 2 foot. It also could jerk a skier out of his skis if I floored it from a dead stop.<br /><br />As far as value goes, you get what you pay for.<br /><br />As for checking it out, always take the boat for a run before you even consider buying it.<br />If you know a boat mechanic, or have a friend who is an experienced boater, ask them to go with you when you take it on the test run.<br />If the seller even balks at allowing you to take it out for a test, keep your wallet in your pocket, you don't want that boat.<br /><br />Wish I could be of more help,<br />Gary

studlymandingo

Commander

I have an 18' Center Console with a 150HP outboard. I frequently go 30 miles offshore when the conditions are right. You can handle big swells fine if the timing of them is right. It will yank the arms off a skiier, and has a fairly shallow draught for getting into the flats. I will eventually pick up a 22' as I want to be able to get to Bimini more often, but my current boat is great!!!

LadyFish

Admiral

Not too different from ours studly.<br /> :)
watermark.php