Advice on Key West Boats?

saltydog2

Recruit
I am considering buying a Key West. Does anyone have any comments about their quality, ride, durability? Thanks in advance.

mbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Advice on Key West Boats?

Id have to tell you that they are middle of the road boats equivalent to 90% of whats made today. But to be honest, 90% of whats made today is crap, esp. considering the very high price you pay for it. Construction is light, features are not oriented toward serious use. Its an entry level boat sold basically on looks, like the rest of the 90%. To really appreciate the difference, you need to spend time looking over a few serious fish boats. Boats should be simple, functional, seaworthy, and built like a tank.

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hope mbb is speaking from experience. I, am, purchased a Key West model 2220 center console in May 2001 after owning a Grady White for many years. I spent 6 months doing research, taking test rides and talking to owners and dealers on diffrent boat makes. Some conclusions that I came to are, wood rots (my Grady White had this problem) so any wood construction was out of the question. Fishing is my focus, so fishing extras (baitwell, rocket launchers, raw water washdown, ect.) on boat is a selling point for me. Overall construction methods and fit/finish hull to deck. And the big one is price, but just not bottom line price but price for what you get, Quality, Options, Construction, Warranty, Safty, Ride and so on. I was not willing to pay extra for a brand name, each dealer had to sell me on the points that I held near and dear to my heart. In conclusion I feel that my boat stands side by side in quality, construction and usability to the more well known fair, at a fair price. Just my $.02, I'm sure other will differ. By the way ride is outstanding, when other head in I'm still out there fishing. <'))))><

mbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe I should add that prob 90+% of buyers are satisfied with the boats they buy. I dont mean to imply that any of the boats made today will fall apart the first time out, but when you can finance a boat for 15 yrs, it should hold up to 15 yrs of hard use. Few can do that. A well made boat with wood is far stronger than a cheaply made one with no wood. Stamas still uses solid wood stringers, so does Dusky. (not plywood) You just have to keep water out of the wood, easy to do IF a mfg cares. Contender achieves its scary light wt by using balsa coring in the hull sides above the waterline only. Very few IF ANY mass marketed boat mfg's care about anything but bottom line profit. Over the past decade I witnessed too many good small Florida boat companies start turning out crap after getting bought by major corporations to believe anything else. <br /> I never rode a keywest, so I cant comment on ride. I looked them over a yr or 2 ago thoroughly. I found hull/deck joint is screwed together,typical cheap vinyl rubrail, transom area had numerous places for water to get into the hull, including a cheap poorly sealing hatch right in front of motor, they try to inject a little foam into space between hull and liner to help provide flotation/rigidity thru a couple of ports that are removable. I found cracks in the gelcoat in the liner where floor meets sides on several new boats that werent even rigged with motor yet. An ominous sign was a cheap plastic drain plug (on a 22' boat), when a mfg wont spend $5 for a brass garboard drain, you know that profit is a priority over quality.

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

FYI, 2001 Key West update! thurhull fittings are brass on 2220 model. Hull/deck is bonded together and also screwed as were other name brands that I looked at. Rubrail is the same material as a Grady White and other name brands. Sealing hatches, same as all the other makes. I can not find numerous places for water to get into the hull thur the transom area, the company might have taken care of this 2 years ago? Unfortunately it is true about the cheap drainplug, plan on replacing it as a winter project. Good quality at a good price. But then again I drive a Dodge to work instead of a Lexus

mbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You said it yourself, its put together similar to others you looked at. Most people are satisfied with their boats, because they use them within their limitations.<br /><br />I hook up to oil/gas platforms and rigs to fish frequently. Sometimes incidental contact is made, and a boat needs to be able to withstand that. I had a boat that was holed above waterline by minor impact, and have seen quite a few where the screws broke thru the thin glass when impacting on the rubrail with only moderate force. Its not something I want. There are a few very high quality constructed boats made that are affordable, but they are not like the run-of-the mill mass marketed liner boats that all look the same. If youve never seen a Cape Horn, go to www.capehornboats.com to see an example of this type boat. The original poster asked about quality, Im only giving my view based on my experience. Tight lines.

Dyllan

Cadet

Major Woods, just wondering if you have any Pros or Cons on the 2300 CC Key West. I've posted in this forum for any and all comments, hoping you could give a fellow 1st class some advice if any??? What do you think??

Jon Calvo

Recruit

Anyone can give me there impressions of the 186 cc?
I fish Puget Sound and we have lots of short chop that gets pretty mixed up.

My last boat was a 20' Trophy cuddy. It was functionable but not a class boat like a Grady.

Can anyone tell me of their boats performance in cruddy water.

Anyone up here in the Pacific Northwest have expierience with the 186CC?

rbc

Seaman

I just purchased a 2005 20' KW CC and really like the boat. I have owned a few boats and for the price the construction and amenities can't be beat. I live in lower Keys and wanted a boat that could run in shallow water and also in ocean on reasonable days Sure, if it is whitecapping and blowing 15 knots and you are running directly into it, youi get a rough ride,but I don't want to be out there fishing in that kind of day.
It only has a 115 Yam 4 stroke but with Bimini up will WOT to 36 knots. The gas mileage is significantly better(along with the ride) than my 17' Boston Whaler with 1986 70 Evinrude, and I can still run shallow water.
I am really happy with boat and expect to keep it for awhile.

Jhicks1208

Recruit

I love my Keywest 186cc , its my 3rd keywest boat. I have had lots of other similar boats but none are as well built

gw2010

Recruit
2008 Key West 1520CC

2008 Key West 1520CC

Hey Everyone,
I'm new to iboats. Wondering if you have heard or seen good or bad things on the 2008 Key West 1520CC?
I'm looking at buying one.
I have a 130 sport whaler that I'm selling. The KW seems a little bigger.
Any feed back is appreciated

FlaCapt

Recruit

To the guy who wanted to know about the 1520. I have owned mine for six years now and must say its a versitile vessel. The cons: limited room for active fishing,can be a wet boat(but most 15 fts are) Pros: can take most anywhere, foam filled so its a resonably safe vessel, has a Lot of storage for a little boat, and good on fuel.
I fish this boat 2-3 times a week and have around 1800 hrs on the 60 yamaha. I think Key West hit a home run with the 1520.

santiago2

Recruit

FlaCapt do you fish the Indian River Lagoon, or any other flats? I am looking to buy a 1520 and I am concerned about hull slap and draft. With a 50HP motor and 2 people, how much draft will it have?