Advice on Hydrofoil & Hydrofoil Stabilizers

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer
Can anyone share some advice/eperience on these products?
The claims from the manufacturer are:

• The SE Sport will improve handling and provide better maneuverability with a smoother ride
  • Features Turbo Trac to enhance thrust and control
  • Cuts planing time dramatically and keeps the boat on plane at lower speeds
Not sure if I need one but we could all do with quicker hole shot.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Advice on Hydrofoil & Hydrofoil Stabilizers

Most people woudl tell you to go with the Smart tabs, foils are kind of old school adn while they do work on certain boats the tabs are just better since they adjust to different boat speeds and put the stress on the hull rather than the engine.

I run a foil myself and it works really well on my boat the way I use it.

RJ17

Cadet

My mechaninc told me to remove the "whale tale" that I had on my engine. (for what it's worth.)

mr 88

Commander

They put added stress on the ventilation plate.If they were all that the marketing team came up with in there add they would be stock items or actually built into all drive systems.Check rpm rating on motor and then see where your at.A proprerly set up rig is the way to get the most out of your boat.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

My old 14.5 ft 50hp had a "whale Tail" on it when I bought it a few years ago. I have used the boat with it on and off. I like it better with the tail on. It lifts the back end of the boat out of the water at lower speeds so you are effectively planing sooner. I prefer to cruise around at lower speeds so it suits my style. I think it gives me better fuel economy because I have less boat mass plowing through the water at those speeds. It probably cuts a few clicks off the top end because it does introduce a little more drag, but that doesn't bother me. I have a 100hp 16.5ft bowrider that I will be trying it on in the next few weeks. When it is up on plane I can sit and see the horizon. When I cruise at the speed I like I have to stand to see the horizon. I don't have power trim on either of my boats so I think the "whale tail" suits my purpose. It might suit you too, but it depends on your situation. I would consider the added stress on the anti-cavitation plate or the motor in general insignificant. Having said that I would have to agree with 5051afb. Smart tabs are probably better. The lttle bit of extra price you pay probably worth it. Just my 2 cents.

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the input guys.
I think I'll give this a miss.

I'd rather spend some money on a replacement prop if anything.
I prefer hole shot & wakeboarding to top speed but without the added stress to the unit.

freezerman

Cadet

Spend the money on Smart tabs. Worth every penny! I have a Glastron GXL185, almost zero rise on holeshot, dropped from 23 mph plane speed to 19mph. Holds corners much better.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Whale tail on an OB - usually helps more than it hurts
Whale tail on an I/O - hack job of the highest order - can't adjust the X dimension to guarantee you get it out of the water at speed...

Tabs are always a better choice, and although helm adjustable tabs are the best, it is hard to beat the value of smart tabs...

NYBo

Admiral

popcorn.gif

They put added stress on the ventilation plate.If they were all that the marketing team came up with in there add they would be stock items or actually built into all drive systems.

This is the most logical bit of advice I have seen and one to live by. Why do we always think we can improve what the highly educated engineers have designed?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I used SE Sport 300s on three different Boston Whalers (2 Montauk17s and a Striper15) with three different outboards.

They performed as advertized in all cases.

They must be properly rigged to do that, though. Rig the outboard too low or with too much out-trim and you will be in trouble.

I would not recommend one for an I/O or inboard. Too little flexibility in rigging. For those I would use Smart Tabs