Advice on first extended trip with 14 footer/7.5

Striek

Cadet
Let me propose something my wife suggested, even though I'm not a huge fan. She suggests we leave my boat, take my engine, and rent a 16' deep V Nader, available at the park we're going to. We would then tow a utility trailer with my engine in it along with the rest of our gear, instead of my boat. We'd have a 20hp main and a 7.5hp kicker that way.

It would nearly eliminate the possibility of an engine failure stranding us, would provide a much stabler boat, but would not provide the redundancy of a second hull or a self tow.

Last edited:

Striek

Cadet
I suggest you take your boat, AND rent the 16' Nader.
Realistically, after discounting the benefit of a 16' deep hull over a 14' utility, how much more of a safety/comfort (mostly safety) margin will a second hull provide that a second engine will not?

For the record, I am on the side of a second boat after the discussion in this thread. I'm attempting to convince everyone else on this trip of that. (I think I'm winning.) I'd love to hear more stories that I could relate.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Uhhhm, was that above the falls, or below? Big difference.
We fish above the Falls. Hence the reason all saavy boaters keep kickers. The lower river in view of the Falls is not open to pleasure craft.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Just the peace of mind would be worth having 2 boats.
Less trips back and forth.
More room in the boat(s) all week.
Room to take all those "extra" comfort and convenience items that you were going to leave home.

I can't imagine going out for an afternoon cruise with 1000 pounds of weight in that boat.

Just curious, as you have been there and I haven't, what made you pick this lake, over the million you had to chose from? No judgement, just curious what goes into your decision. This question came up recently with my family, as we were planning our vacations.

Striek

Cadet
Roscoe said:
Just curious, as you have been there and I haven't, what made you pick this lake, over the million you had to chose from? No judgement, just curious what goes into your decision. This question came up recently with my family, as we were planning our vacations.
What?! How DARE you question my choice of vacation destination! The arrogance! :p

A few reasons.

• It's extremely remote as it's quite a slog to get there. From Chapleau it's an hour to the next town, 90 minutes to Wawa, and four hours to Sault Ste. Marie. Then from Chapleau it's 60 to 90 minutes up a logging road to the park. That's remote enough that very few people make the trip.
  • Well over half the clientele is American in a normal year, and if this summer is anything like last, they won't be there. Not that I have anything against Americans enjoying what we have and spending their money here, I quite enjoy the fireside chats and swapping stories. But it means there's more room for me.
  • I scouted the lake a few years back and I know that there are some rather spacious backcountry sites suitable for what I'm trying to accomplish.
  • The fishing is spectacular. Set up your kitchen close enough to the water and I swear, they just jump into the pan for you.
  • Because it's so cumbersome to get to, the people who do go there generally have the same respect for the land I do. Campsites are clean, and people are very conscious to not attract wildlife, for starters.
  • There's some sights I'd really like to see - several large collections of pictographs, a slowly decaying logging camp I'd like to see before it disappears into the Earth, even a species of plant native to Europe that grows nowhere else in North America, brought by early fur traders.
  • I signed my name in a logbook on portage trail there 20 years ago. I'd like to see if it's still there.
  • Beyond all that, it's beautiful, and it's vast.
I highly recommend it. If you're there at the same time this year, look me up. We'll be at the last site on the right before Fairy Point.

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Sounds nice.
We traveled 50 to 80 miles up the Graham logging road ( about 300 ? miles west of Missinaibi ) for over 25 years. Setting up a base camp somewhere north of Pakashkan and then visiting 5-8 lakes during our 2 week stay. Sometimes a week in the woods, then a week in a cabin. But as our group gets older, 40-83, emergency medical services become a bigger factor in choosing a destination.

Yes, it looks like Trudeau will keep the borders closed for this year, which is why we are scouting new destinations state side.

Our vacation times are set for mid June and mid September, so we won't be joining you.

Striek

Cadet
Well, it was a good trip.

We ended up just renting the 16' deep hull - and even with that, on this lake, with the winds that were presented, the hairs on my neck stood up more than once. Even having some experience with Big Water in a small boat with easily a foot of freeboard in five foot waves, this trip tested me.

It ended up just being me and The Wife (draw your own conclusions), but it was awesome, sideways waves notwithstanding. I thank you all for your input.

For the record, you were all correct. There's no way on God's Green Earth that my 14' tin can could have handled this trip.

Last edited: