Advice on Engine Swap (Got Smart)

ThomasHill

Seaman Apprentice
After reading Bond-O and his quest to eliminate OMC outdrives I have decided to look for a Mercrusier. My question is what will work. I attached a pic of the 4 cyl Chevy thats in there now. On each side thwere appears to be a steel plate that runs to the transom and is attached. The front mount is bolted to wood that sits on top of the steel plate. This is a 77 hurricane deck boat I'm trying to restore.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=302994

Attachments

• OMC.jpg
    OMC.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Advice on Engine Swap

To be honest, nothing will work. The transom is probably to thin for a Merc drive, the hole from your stringer is to big, the front mount is all wrong for Merc.
You would be better off to sell it and get something with the power you want in it.

ThomasHill

Seaman Apprentice

To be honest, nothing will work. The transom is probably to thin for a Merc drive, the hole from your stringer is to big, the front mount is all wrong for Merc.
You would be better off to sell it and get something with the power you want in it.

Wow, not quite what I expected. I knew I was going to have to redo the transom. I was planning on that since the wood appeared wet around the opening. How thick does it need to be?
Jack

dskel1122

Cadet

good luck with the swap.....I tried to pry any good news out of a OMC'ish swap to accommodate the mercruiser outdrive and it looks pretty much a dead deal...(still holding hope I can find something though!!!) :D

Don and Bondo will definitely give it to you straight...hope your ready for the truth..... :D

ThomasHill

Seaman Apprentice

It's been a busy week. No quite giving up yet. I've manage to find a 4 cyl Volvo Penta with outdrive that I picked up through a trade. I've attached a picture. From what I've read , since the block is red in color does this mean the engine is a 2000 to 2006? Also it appears that the engine mounts are on the side so I should be able to attach mounts to the steel plate on each side of the engine compartment. I managed to sell the OMC and stern drives that came with the boat.
Jack

Attachments

• volvo1.jpg
    volvo1.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 0
  • volvo2.jpg
    volvo2.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 0

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

try and post sn and all the info you have to make it easier for ppl to help
If you type in your engine SN here you should get some info on what you have. http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/uk/...duction_engines/out_of_production_engines.htm

I know its a uk website, I just tried it seems to work.
also if you go to www.marinepartsexpress.com they have schematics and helps to get the part number
Once you get more info might be a plan to order a full size template. Someone here on this forum might have the installation pdf hopefully they chime in.
As far as the transom thickness I believe its 2 1/4''
I think if it were me I would replace the inside transom and add 3/4 ply until its built up thick enough then gel coat that area if your omc hole is larger maybe you could use aluminum plate on the outside then seal that with marine sealant.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

since the block is red in color does this mean the engine is a 2000 to 2006?

No, that engine and drive are from the 70's to about, mid maybe early 80's.
Engine parts are EXPENSIVE,

Look on the port side of the engine where the fuel pump is and the distributor should be, and see if there is a brass plate with the model and serial number on it.
From the looks of it, you didn't win much in that trade.

ThomasHill

Seaman Apprentice

No, that engine and drive are from the 70's to about, mid maybe early 80's.
Engine parts are EXPENSIVE,

Look on the port side of the engine where the fuel pump is and the distributor should be, and see if there is a brass plate with the model and serial number on it.
From the looks of it, you didn't win much in that trade.

I can't complain with what I traded. Dollar wise it amounts to less then $150.00. I pick it up Thursday. I'll get the numbers and post them.

ThomasHill

Seaman Apprentice

Finally getting smart. After reading all the comments and looking at the daunting amount of work it would require to get the deck boat on the water I've decided to scrap the idea. By parting it out I break even. Plus I want to get on the water before next winter. With that in mind I need some help. Picked up another boat. I've started a new thread on it.
Thanks
Jack