Advice on deckboat?

lovlakes

Cadet
Still looking for a used, recent deckboat 20-24 foot length with 22 probably ideal, mostly for cruising, swimming, tubing. Thinking about Chaparral, Azure and Four Winns, but mostly because we liked some of the options and the quality at boat show display.

Anyone have experience/opinions on Regal, Harris-Kayot, Starcraft, Monterrey? Seen some ads on line for these, but weren't at the show. Are there others you like and why?

KCook

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Advice on deckboat?

All decent choices. May want to toss Crownline in there as well. The design differences between deckboats are greater than with bowriders. Depending on what is important to you, this list will likely shrink quickly. Here is another thread on the deckboat topic -

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=219273

Kelly Cook

lovlakes

Cadet

Here is another thread on the deckboat topic -

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=219273

Kelly Cook

Thanks for the link and for your pix of 2005 BR and 2006 Deck boats. Those of us trying to buy used have a tough time as dealers are mostly interested in selling new.

I am not as technically savvy as the previous poster. Was just hoping for some input from experienced boaters regarding how well various makers boats hold up...do the vinyl/carpet/gel coats not vary that much, (are all of them so well made?) that it really comes down to is just getting the features you want at a good price?

Does the difference between a Mercury versus Vovlo sway your opinion?

Any additional thoughts sure would be welcome.:cool:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have a 99 ChrisCraft 230 deck boat, 5.7L volvo.. the volvo and storage were the selling points, on this boat. also the hull design and we do a lot of coastal cruising. in Fla, and Keys.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

The bargain priced brands will use cheaper carpet, etc. Which will not hold up as many years. But on the whole I think the quality differences between the various deckboats are not so great as with bowriders. I would focus more on finding a design I like, not so much quality.

Don't expect to find any consensus on Merc vs Volvo. Many of us don't think there is much difference. But there certainly are boaters convinced otherwise. In any event, what difference there is lies mostly in the drives, not the motors themselves.

At the end of the day, any and all of the brands can be a decent choice. Even if one brand boat or motor is seen as slightly inferior, a significantly lower price for it can balance that out.

Kelly