Advice needed on buying sewing machines.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Looking at the basic machines by Sears, Singer and Brother. From the looks of these machines, I would say they are all made by Singer. Is that right?<br /><br />Sears Kenmore basic machine has only 2 built in stitches, the Singer and Brother have 23 and 15 respectively for about same price.<br /><br />Anyway, Walmart has a Singer and a Brother machine that fit my needs. Is one brand better than the other?

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Advice needed on buying sewing machines.

Mark, what are you planning on using the machine for? <br /><br />I've sewn since I was a kid and have had several different machines. I'm in love with the one I got about 4 years ago. It's a Janome. White is also a good machine or the OLD Universals and Singer are good.<br /><br />The machine you're talking about will not handle heavy fabrics and just don't have the motor capacity for big projects. Their very lightweight and parts are nearly all plastic.<br /><br />Janome Decor 5018 is the model I have and I couldn't be happier with it. I went with more power rather than all the fancy embroidery features. I can still do 28 different stiches including double stiching for added strength when I sew canvas or Sunbrella for outdoor use.<br /><br />I would recommend getting a really good used machine for about the same price as a Brother or a Sears. The older machines are real work horses and parts and accessories are easy to find if you stick with a brand name. Most sewing machine repair shops have used machines available at an excellent price.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hi LadyFish,<br /><br />Wife and I would use it for cloths, curtians as well as the occassional heavy duty project like my boat top. Last night I was sewing test pieces of the top material I have and the Sears 385.12102 model did just fine. It is one of those all plastic machines. Light in weight but had no problem sewing my top material. Probably won't be using it for heavy duty projects much.<br /> <br />I think I would be more inclined to use one if I had it available.<br /><br />Edit:<br /><br />The Sears I was using I borrowed from Mom in Law.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

If you are going to use it for heavy fabrics such as Denim and Canvass-like materials, you should look at the heavy-duty machines from Singer or Juki.