Advice if you're buying a manual

Cortes165

Seaman
This issue comes up quite often on this forum. "What kind of manual do I buy?" :confused: <br />Well here's my story.<br />I bought a clymer manual cause that's the only thing I could find around here. The first time I had to use it, the info wasn't even correct. :confused: I actually had to go to the dealer and photocopy a page out of their OMC manual. This Clymer book was just full of all kinds of stuff that had nothing to do with my engine. There is a lot of guessing with their instructions. Needless to say, I sent the manual back.<br />I just received my "original OMC manual" from Outboardwizard. It took a couple weeks to get up here in western Canada, but it was worth the wait. It kicks butt in every regard. Great detail and it's all about my engine. For the extra $20 it is the only manual I would ever consider again. <br />So if you are looking for a manual, BUY the OMC MANUAL. :) :D

MarkHPCA

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Advice if you're buying a manual

I couldn't agree more!!! I had the same problem!! Considering the cost is not much more the OMC is the way to go.

rdgallo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Amen. Buy only the OEM manual. The Clymer is too generic.

dukewichers

Cadet

i just bought my omc manual on e-bay for twenty bucks. Their are a lot of outdated manuals there , check em' out ya'll. <br /><br /><br />Bayou Thunder

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

We've been telling you guys that for years!

Gary85_

Seaman Apprentice

OK I'm ready to spend the money for the OMC repair manual. The help here is good but the problems I'm running into are gonna take forever to get all my questions answered. I am not a mechanic but I feel I could do all work myself giving the right information. So if anyone knows where I might find a manual for a Johnson Javelin 85ETLR78C please let me know. I already looked on ebay with no luck.<br /><br />Has anyone used the Seloc online? I know there manuals are talked about here as being wishywashy, but if its a good information source I could have some info I need instantly.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I had a Clymer too and it sucked. Got an OMC original manual for my motor for two bucks!! Huge difference, don't know how I lived without it. I really don't trust the aftermarket manuals much.<br /><br />I tell you what though, good internet forums (like this one) are very helpful for maintenance information that isn't in the manual. There is a "squeeks, rattles, thumps and clunks" section on a VW forum that helped me fix a half dozen issues on my car that the dealers couldn't find or fix. Pretty funny reading too.

migue

Seaman Apprentice

OMC would be the best, but I bought a Seloc and it has been a very good manual, Lots of pictures and very simple to understand.

Cortes165

Seaman

Sorry guys, I didn't want to start an argument. I'm sure some of you are happy with the Clymer. <br />In my case, the manual covered everything from a 2hp - 200hp. Way to much generic info and not specific enough. I was trying to assemble an engine that was in about 8 boxes and there were just too many questions that couldn't be answered in the Clymer.<br />Like mentioned above, I too have learned a lot by reading these forums.

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

I have a Clymer & an OEM (along with the OEM parts manual). The OEM is definitely the way to go.

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

I have an older Clmer manual that doesnt cover as broad of engines. I like it ok, but I also have an OMC shop manual that really breaks things down better. I guess the thing I like about the Clymer is the link and synch portion. I agree though the OMC is better for peculiars.