Advice for replacing the head? '67 Evinrude 33HP

DallasJeff

Seaman
'67 Evinrude 33HP

Still trying to get this motor running right after a carb kit, new coils, adjusted points and changed the plugs. The top spark plug won't tighten because the threads are stripped. I pulled the head off a parts motor today.

While I wait for the new head gasket by mail order , anything I should do to get the replacement head cleaned up and ready to install? I guess a scraper blade will clean off the old gasket or is there a better way? Anything else I should do when I have it open?

This is the first time I've opened up a cylinder on any motor and surprised to find that the piston isn't flat on top. Why is it shaped like that? I assume its to push out the exhaust more efficiently.

DallasJeff

Seaman
Re: Advice for replacing the head? '67 Evinrude 33HP

Torque specs for the ten bolts that hold on the head? Torque specs for the spark plugs? Put the gasket on dry or lightly oiled?

Xcusme

Commander

After getting the new head cleaned up, making sure it's uniform in flatness is the next item, same for the head surface too......
You mentioned , why the pistons are shaped like they are......your right ...it helps purge the exhaust.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I have the '67 Johnson 33hp parts manual if you want it. It should be pretty similar to the E33. PM me your address and request if you want it.