Adventures at The Hideout

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I can't seem to get in a black enough mood that my environment can't get me out of it.<br /><br />Been warring with my equipment for a few days.. .had to cough up nearly 2Gs for a new finishing mower, hot as normal but humid as S. FL, caught the devil from a new member because I moved his boat question from the Force Outboard Forum to the Boats Forum, two prospective buyers turned their noses up at my 1980 boat because she isn't a marina queen (some folks think a classic must be in perfect detail at all times), etc.<br /><br />I started out with my field mower to mow the wild flowers field in a nasty mood. It was about 95 and muggy.<br /><br />As I moved along the fence a pair of scissor-tail flycatchers (gorgeous birds!) kept pace with me, sitting on the fence until I got even with them, then flying another 20' along and diving on any morsel that I put up that caught their fancy.<br /><br />I started to smile.<br /><br />I have a family of merlins in my big cottonwood tree. They are falcons, a bit smaller than the peregrine, that used to be called pigeon hawks. Three of them were circling above, eyeing the flycatchers (I think). Merlins are the only falcons I have ever seen soaring, but they are almost as fast as their larger cousins when they hurry.<br /><br />Field mice occasionally darted from the path of my tractor and quickly into the tall stuff. Sceighty 'leven bazillion grasshoppers fled in all directions (why I don't have a garden).<br /><br />A kestrel (another small falcon, formerly called a sparrow hawk) joined the flycatchers and started picking off grasshoppers. Then it nailed a mouse that was almost too heavy for it to bear off.<br /><br />Sweat trickled down my back, into my eyes, soaked my shirt. I cared not. I smiled more.<br /><br />I am so thankful that many folks want to live in cities and towns so that we rural folk have this wonderful life to ourselves. :)

bubbakat

Captain
Re: Adventures at The Hideout

I hear yea JB Reminds me of the time I lived in texas. I have a big place here to take care of but like you said in all the things you see going on when you are out there alone makes up for the hard work. Thanks for sharing

SpinnerBait_Nut

You betch ya JB and that is why I am in the sticks.

crab bait

Captain

been a spell since you wrote apiece.. i always say you'd should do it more often as i know alamonga us enjoy it so.. <br /><br />i sure love the city life for history, museums, stuff-to-do.. <br /><br />i sure love the country for history, nature, stuff-to-do..<br /><br />an the 'beach', too.. atlantic coast..<br /><br />i love this area..

Kenneth Brown

Captain

There ain't no better feeling than waking up in the morning and watering the lawn from the front porch, and not having to worry about the neighbors seeing it.

JB

Careful, there, KB. You'll kill the grass. :D

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Beautiful, JB. You are in a heavenly place. You write beautifully too. Has anyone told you that? You explain it so well that the reader feels it. Brings a smile to our faces too. Thank you for sharing.<br /> I have a relative who lives in the boonies in Missouri and he writes pieces about his experiences on his farm called "Sunday Down on the Farm". He sends it out via-e-mail to his friends/family/anyone about once a month now; used to be every Sunday, but I guess he's been too busy. Anyway, its similar to how you write. If you're willing to share more there are some here who will enjoy reading it. Just a thought. I just very much enjoy reading about the joys of other's lives and how the little things can affect your day's in the biggest ways.<br /> Mountain life for me is a slice of heaven, so everyday is a new experience. Just open your senses and let nature show you. Wonderful, isn't it?<br /> So happy to hear about you having such a happy day.<br />Bassy :D

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

Shhhhhhhhhh JB, don't tell the secret! :p <br />just got done watching our mating pair of barn<br />swallows dive bombing my 3 cats. scares the<br />crud outa them... hilarious!

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

JB,<br />Thank you for the wonderful view into your backyard.

Drowned Rat

Captain

You're so lucky to have those birds on your property! I'm jealous. I put up two kestrel boxes last Spring, but no takers yet. Great story JB, keep 'em coming.