Adjusting Control Cables

bc1weber

Recruit
I just installed (4) new control cables. 2 each for throttles and shifters on my Mercury Bridgeports which push my 25" Motion Cat. Is there a center mark for neutral or some way to get the adjustments right. I keep missing something and my fingers are getting sore.. LOL Help Anyone???

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Adjusting Control Cables

You have to split the inner cable slack in half. If there is 1/2 inch slack in the inner cable 1/4 on reverse side and 1/4 on the farward side.<br /> Cable disconnected move the control handle into farward full throttle, slowly return handle to netrual detent. place a mark on the cable end guide at end of plastic connector. Do the same in reverse, again mark cable guide at end of plastic connector. You will have 2 marks on the cable guide(metal sleeve at end of cable). Then place a mark between the 2 marks, this marks the neutral position. You must do the same with the shift lever. Then connect the cable. All you are trying to do is put to center the slack of the cable and shift lever. The photos in manual makes it simple.

bc1weber

Recruit
Re: Adjusting Control Cables

Thanks for the reply... I thought I did have the slack even at both ends.. OOPs! Guess not!! I'll give it another try... Throttles seem OK now but it's the shifters I'm having trouble with. One side goes into forward and back to neutral (no reverse) only and the other side seems to go from forward to reverse without hitting the neutral spot..>>>