Adjustible height ball hitch cures retrieval issues

coastalrichard

Lieutenant
Reading about folks having troubles retrieving their boats got me to looking into the issue. There seems to be a pretty direct correlation to the ramp slope. Too little slope and the boat hits the trailer at a low angle causing the trailer to be backed farther down the ramp to allow the bow to get over the first rear roller. Too steep an angle causes the boat to hit the trailer at a steep angle making it difficult to get the bow above the eye. I've become convinced that, depending on your ramp conditions, you will experience one or the other, particularly if you launch from different locations for different reasons. I searched the web and found numerous adjustible hitch balls that would be handy for some of you that are experiencing issues. Here's one that looks pretty neat:

trailer hitch.jpg
Not only can you quickly and easily change the angle of your trailer by raising or lowering the ball (for a shallow ramp, raise the ball height; lower it for steep ramps), but you can also switch ball sizes to adjust for your smaller or larger trailers.

Thought I'd pass it along.

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Adjustible height ball hitch cures retrieval issues

I've had one of those on my truck for the last 3 years and have a couple comments on it.
1) The adjusting pin will rust solid no matter what you do to it
2) The locking adjusting pin lock is good for about 6 months and then you will have to cut it off because the lock will have corroded (they will send out another, but they are junk)
3) The double hitch like you show above will hit the ground when exiting a steep driveway

Otherwise it is fine, but I wouldn't buy one again. Better off with multiple receivers.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

I see your point Oldjeep. Do you carry each with you and make the change at the ramp using your tongue jack to support the trailer during the switch?

oldjeep

Admiral

I see your point Oldjeep. Do you carry each with you and make the change at the ramp using your tongue jack to support the trailer during the switch?

I don't change receiver height at the ramp, I use the hitch for trailers of different heights and ball sizes.

bgc

Ensign

I remove mine when I'm not towing....

woosterken

Lieutenant

what would happen if you put an air bag system on your truck?
that way you could raise or lower the truck with the push of a button :)

ken

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Now that sounds pretty nifty, right there!

foodfisher

Captain

]what would happen if you put an air bag system on your truck? Thanks alot! I asked the wife, now I'm quartered on the couch!