Adding trim where none has been before.....

ScottieinNC

Seaman
Hi Everyone,<br />I have a 74 Evin 135, replaced the L/U and now all is well in water world. Sure wish I had PT&T on this boat! I've been looking at them on a few sites, the CMC PT-135 would be the ticket, but I've been told I have all the mounting bosses on my motor to put one one and go with it. Looking at this one:eBay trim unit <br />Would this unit work out? <br />I can post pictures of my motor hinge bracket on my website and link to it from here if this will help answer any questions on compatibility.<br />Thanks again!<br />Scott

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Adding trim where none has been before.....

Don't know if it will work for you, as it came off a newer motor, and only a 60hp. But will it even function? who knows. If you want to do this once, and not have to screw around with some old junk, get the cmc unit. You will save the cost in chiropractor bills.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Scott:<br /><br />That style of power tilt/trim is for newer ('78 and beyond) style motors. Your motor takes the earlier type which has the trim and tilt cylinders that mount outside of the swivel bracket/transom mount. This type of PT&T unit is much less common than the later type that went inside the bracket. I looked for one on eBay for several months for my '76 85hp. Only a few showed up during that time, and there were always bidding wars in the last few minutes of the auctions, that drove the prices ridiculously high. A few weeks ago I finally came across a very clean CMC unit on eBay for $250. I just installed it today and it went on quite easily, like you have been told, all the mounting holes aligned perfectly. It also was compatible with the trim tilt switch on my OMC controls. It looks to be a solid unit and I can't wait to try it out tomorrow. <br /><br />So, my advice would be go with the CMC. Even if you can find one, I doubt there are service parts availale for the old type PT&T units anyway.

ScottieinNC

Seaman

Sorta what I was thinking as well, CMC would be the way to go. Thought I might get lucky, but wanted to ask some opinions first. This is a great board! <br />Was out today and totally lost forward gear, motored in reverse for 3/4 mile (really, really slow going) before flagging a tow to the dock. Will start the investigation tomorrow to see what happened by draining L/U oil, then looking depper if need be. Suspect I'll be installing a new gear set though...<br />Thanks everyone so far!<br />Scott

ScottieinNC

Seaman

Hey McGR<br />Let me know how you like your CMC unit from ebay. I do alot of looking on there and may find one this winter, hopefully as reasonable as you did.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Scott: <br /><br />I took the boat out today with the new (to me) CMC power trim/tilt unit. Overall, it worked exactly like it should. Though, I was a little dissapointed that I didn't seem to pick up much top end as I had hoped to. However, I was on a small 150 acre lake which made it hard to do long runs at WOT to find the optimal trim angle. Maybe on a larger lake I'll be able to see a little more speed. My only other gripe would be the lack of a gauge. The motor on this boat prior to the '85hp had PTT with a gauge. Based on experience with the gauge I knew the optimal angles for hole shot and top speed. I think I miss having the angle information available. Maybe I can add the CMC gauge onto this unit. So, overall the unit did just fine, though, I was hoping to see more performance improvment.<br /><br />MG

xikxak

Petty Officer 1st Class

Scott,sorry to hear your having more problems. Got the part today.its right.Thanks for everything.Davexx

ScottieinNC

Seaman

Hey Davexx,<br />Glad I could help, got your voice message too. Hope you get on the water sooner than I do. Found an OMC original manual on ebay for $20.00, shipped. Just arrived today. I'll be pulling gears from another lower unit I have to get back operational.<br /><br />McGR - Thanks for the update, I've heard alot about the trim gauge being a big help on the CMC units, so I'll be looking for that feature myself.<br /><br />Well....I'm off to dig into my L/U with manual in hand.<br />Thanks,<br /> Scott

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by McGR:<br /> My only other gripe would be the lack of a gauge. The motor on this boat prior to the '85hp had PTT with a gauge. Based on experience with the gauge I knew the optimal angles for hole shot and top speed. I think I miss having the angle information available. Maybe I can add the CMC gauge onto this unit. So, overall the unit did just fine, though, I was hoping to see more performance improvment.
Also, check out the Panther universal lift gauge. It's designed to be used on power lifts or T&T's. I have installed one on a non-panther lift I have (quicksilver paralift), and it works perfectly. My opinion is that it can be adapted to a CMC type T&T unit. Search IBoats, I believe you'll find it.