adding to 50 hp motor to help with skiing

congress111

Recruit
I have a 1973 tri hull 15 footer with a 1973 evinrude 50 hp motor and I have gotten guys up behind it kneeboarding and extremely struggled but got him up wakeboarding. he was about 165 pounds. what can I add to the motor to help pick guys up...I way about 250 and 6 foot 1 and I want to ski. I know it would struggle, but just wondered if you all had any suggestions.

Thanks.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
Re: adding to 50 hp motor to help with skiing

try putting a hydro foil on your catavation plate. It is a fin that goes on the pate above the prop. It should help you plane quicker.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i don't think it is going to happen. you need an 17 ft V bow, with a 115 atleast. tri hull is heavy, the worst to get on plane.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Find a used prop with about a 15" pitch?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

1. make sure the motor is running as it should (tune up).

2. Make sure the foam under the floor in the boat is dry, it can hold several hundred pounds of water.

3. Check the current prop to see what size it is and try one with slightly less pitch.

4. Take out all the extra stuff in the boat that you don't need.

5. Now get a bigger boat and motor, if you really like to ski, you'll be doing this by next season.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i ski with a 70 hp on a 16 ft thompson v-hull. i had a 19 " pitch prop on it, and it did not work, but with a 15 on it, I was able to get up. You may need a 13. YOu need to be able to get on plane in a few seconds.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I think you need more actual power, however try the free things first. Perfect the set up (motor height, trim, weight distribution etc) then see if you can get a lower pitch prop to try out. Dump what you do not actually need from the boat to minimise the weight you are carrying and carry the lightest "spotter" you can find.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i ski with just 2 ppl half the time. Sure it is prob illegal, but you never see boat cops anyway. IT is like the wild west out here. just have the driver look back every once and a while to make sure you are still there.

it's not like you can't take your eyes off the road, like a car.

Joeyjoejoe

Recruit

I always get the spotter to move to the front seat (and lean forward when needed), then when the skier is up, move back to the rear seat.

Moody Blue

Captain

That is going to be a REAL struggle for that motor / boat combo to pull you up. As stated, minimize weight on board, drop prop pitch to about 13-15" and keep the motor fully trimmed down. You could also try ventilating the prop to get it to spin up faster. Do a search under the Prop Questions forum on how to do this mod.

Your motor will have to be in top operating condition to have even a hope. I am able to pull a skilled 240lb slalom skier up with an 80hp on a heavy 15ft deep V hull but it is at its limit.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 15' tri hull with a 65hp Merc and the hydrofoils mentioned above. It will pull up a 150lb skier on a pair of skis, but to slalom it takes real skill on the part of the driver and the skier to get up out of the water. I can't imagine pulling up anyone over 200 lbs...

Best of luck!

Dave