Adding Tach

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Iv'e read alot of posts here... trying to determine if i have the right prop on my boat or not...i have a 16 ft cajun demon pro with a rude 70hp prop is a 13 1/4 X 17 aluminum....when i plane it out it strarts to porpose until i trim it down..however i see four to five MPH increase with it porposeing...with all the posts i see I should start off with a tach reading...however i don't have a tach... what should i buy... how difficult is it and where to start....<br /> :confused:

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Adding Tach

Was thinking of analog dial type....maybe teleflex red...or similar...can't find what models fit rude..what other than guage would i need...is there a need to calibrate or what should i look in tach other than it matching my other guages???

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

would a teleflex red international do fine....can i just connect this to the grey wire under dashboard to the tach...will this work.......i feel lost...still waiting for manual...on backorder should be here in a few days....

Moody Blue

Captain

Make sure the tach you select has the option of selecting the number of poles to match your motors ignition system. Most marine tachs do, but there are tachs for outboards, I/O and diesels as well. Faria has a good applications reference guide on their web site. Not sure about Teleflex. Select a tach that will cover the operating range of your motor.<br /><br />Typically you need three wires to hook-up the tach 1) switched +12v - purple 2) gnd - black 3) tach signal - gray. You will also want to connect the backlight to the same power source as the other guages lights.<br /><br />The tachs you buy retail are "factory calibrated" and are generally quite accurate but as with anything else there is always tolerances and mistakes. They are intended as "plug and play" devices, no calibration needed.

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks...this is just the first step i figureing out the main issue...porposing and prop size..

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The Teleflex Red will work for your Evinrude. Actually, all Teleflex tachs for outboard motors will work for you. There is a setting on the back to select the alternator/generator setup on your motor. <br /><br />Tachs vary in price with the accuracy (generally speaking). For your general purpose engine monitoring and fine tuning your boats setup, the base tachs made by most manufacturers are more than sufficient.

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good ...I'll order this tonight...and hope for ease in wiring ....almost looks like a rats nest under the dash...well not that bad but could use some house cleaning...i'll get it working before i break it though.. :)

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well i have the tach and many other new parts for her....anyway can anyone tell me where the grey wire for the tach is,comes from,where to tap into, i cant seem to find it. Thought i had a grey wire under dash until had better light and saw it was just dirty white. Still waiting on USPS with manual...amazon pulled a switcharoo on me said UPS then went to DHL, now the USPS has for some reason..as long as it gets here i guess....

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

if your are using omc control box with key switch (standard model) there is a plug just below key use tach harness 174732?? i think and just plug it in route tach wires under dash<br />purple wire i terminal<br />black wire g terminal<br />gray wire to s terminal

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there is already a plug in that spot with three wires coming out of it but no grey..

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry I used a telepathy hyper link.....didn't you get it ??? :) :) :) <br /><br />anyway back to the story...i'll check the colors when i get home...i think one was purple with black stripe...cant remember the others but there were four holes in the plug but only three leads came from it....i'll work harder at the telepathy stuff :) <br /><br /><br />Thanks

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay here we go ...shows where my head was... there are only two wires coming from this plug one black and one purple with black stripe..the other spot is plugged so i'm going to make a "as*" out of "u" and "me" and assume this remaining spot is where the tach needs to be hooked up.. :)