adding tach to 82 mercury 50

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i want to start trying to find the right prop, and i want to install a tachometer on my 1982 mercury 50 hp 4 cylinder 2 stroke.. what is a good inexepensive tach, and what do i need to install it besides the tach itself? thanks guys, for all info.. part #s appreciated..

Pyr8

Cadet
Re: adding tach to 82 mercury 50

Most tachs off the shelf are going to run $60-$90. You can usually find one on ebay for less, though I suggest getting new or known good. Once you get one you'll need to set "pul" (pulse) to 2 for the 4 cylinder 2-stroke. You'll also have to determine if you need a coil or alternator type (probably coil for the 82 merc but confirm)...

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: adding tach to 82 mercury 50

knowing nothing about the difference, and after looking on ebay, i didnt see two types? now i am more confused... anyone KNOW of a tach that will work with this motor.. i dont want to overpay, but under 100$ would be fine.. also, do i need a harness like a 52129A1, or is there a easy way to just hookup to the motor? also, i see a real cheapi digital hr clock/ digital tach on ebay cheap - anyone tried them, are they junk, or are they for real?

thanks