Adding power tilt/trim to existing motor

wilgil

Cadet
I have a low hours (approx. 150hrs from new) '75 105 Chrysler on my boat at the moment, which goes just great (wouldn't mind a few more ponies though - but i digress). Unfortunately it only has manual tilt, which makes things a bit dicey at times, especially in shallow water. I have recently purchased a 75HP, 135HP and another 105HP - all of the outboards from the motor down look the same. All of them have power trim/tilt. My questions is this: is it possible to transplant one of the Power trim/tilt units onto the existing 105 without having to remove it from the boat?

Here in NZ nobody wants to even look at a Chrysler - that sure can be frustrating, but i'm slowly learning about stuff myself, and purchased the three other motors so that my 105 will continue to chug away for a long time to come.

Thanks in advance.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Adding power tilt/trim to existing motor

Getting the tilt/trim unit onto the engine while it is on the boat will be the simplest part of what you want to do. The only rub might be if your engine mounting clamps are slightly closer together than the ones on the engine with the trim. Then you will need to spread them a bit so the trim unit will fit between them.

The most difficult part will be removing the unit from the other engine. Corrosion usually has the mounting bars stuck tight. In many cases it is necessary to hammer them out and in some cases it is necessary to cut them. Do not use heat unless you are able to replace the plastic bushings inside the lower shock and tilt cylinder holes.

However, since the engine is off the boat (I hope) it is a simple matter to spray penetrant into the back of the trim casting around all six webs. Hopefully this will ease the problem some. Use some old nuts or a block of aluminum to hammer out the bars so you don't **** up the threads. Some lower mounting bars have external circlips instead of nuts, but those would be on very old engines

If I remember correctly, you will need a couple of 3/4 wrenches for the nuts on the top mounting bar--the one that goes through the engine mounting yoke. You will need a couple of 15/16 wrenches for the bottom bar that goes through the two engine clamps and the trim casting. A 1/2 inch wrench is needed for the motor/reservoir mounting. A bent distributor wrench makes getting the top one out easier. If those bolts are corroded, simply twist the heads off. You can always drill and re-tap the clamp if you need to later.

You do not even need to disconnect the hydraulic lines as they all go under the mounting clamp. First mount the trim casting. Lubricate the mounting bar and all the holes generously with anti seize. position the trim casting and slide in the bar. Be careful not to destroy the plastic bushings on the shock and tilt cylinders.

You will need to raise the engine all the way up, block it, and activate the trim so the upper bar can be inserted.

Lastly, wiggle the motor/reservoir/pump assembly and install the three mounting screws. Good luck! Let us know how difficult the removal was.

wilgil

Cadet

Great! I'll get on to it over the next week and post my experiences! Thanks so much for the swift and clear reply.

RRitt

Captain

I disagree a little bit with frank. I guess I'm just too lazy. If you leave all the oil tubes connected then it is a lot easier and a lot less messy.

To take trim/tilt off a 1975-1994 chrysler force 3cylinder or larger engine:

fully tilt engine and block into place.
take out three nuts/bolts securing pump onto transom clamp
take off nuts holding upper and lower mounting shafts in place
push out upper shaft
push out lower shaft
disconnect wiring and bring back to pump motor
pull rump away from bracket with right hand while supporting trim housing with left
entire assembly falls off boat and into your hands.

installation is reverse of above. before putting back onto boat use a piece of 1/2" cpvc pipe to align the trim housing, shock, and tilt ram. Cut pipe flush on each end and use your permanent mounting shaft to push it out during installation. Takes about 30-45 minutes to install new trim using above method.

wilgil

Cadet

Still working on it - acquired another two 85hp motors - so I now have FIVE spares - 135 - 105 - 90 - 85 - 85!

I'm going to hook up a battery to the trim/tilt units (I have 3) and pick the best one.

RRitt

Captain

Still working on it - acquired another two 85hp motors - so I now have FIVE spares - 135 - 105 - 90 - 85 - 85!

I'm going to hook up a battery to the trim/tilt units (I have 3) and pick the best one.

Trying to guess which trim might last longer than another is difficult. In order to really, truly know then you would need to take them apart and look inside. Looks are almost meaningless. Hewever, there are a few red flags.

1) lower mounting shaft that won't slide out freely
2) rust around motor thru bolts.
3) rust around edges of motor magnet collar
4) tube nuts that don't break free and spin with a small turn
5) white limestone deposits around mounting shafts, tube nuts, or trim cover bolts
6) trim cover bolts that don't come free with slight turning of wrench (you can just go 1/8 turn and then tighten back without harming system)
7) corrosion or cracking arounf tilt ram band collar
8) centering slug on trim assembly missing or coming loose
9) tilt/shock piston shaft scrapers beginning to crack
10) rusted shockeyes on shock or tilt ram
11) recently spray painted

wilgil

Cadet

Thanks for the additional information.