Adding Pee Hole to old Nissan 40

Status
Not open for further replies.

txflyer

Recruit
Stumbled across this forum, hoping someone will have some experience with this. I just bought a used nissan NS40C 2 cylinder which doesn't have a pee hole, and I'd like to add one. Anybody ever done this and can tell me exactly where I'd need to tap into the cooling flow to run a line out the engine cowl? I realize I could take apart the cover where the cooling water flows thru, but I'd rather not if there is anyone out there that can pin down the location of the tap for me. Thanks!

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Adding Pee Hole to old Nissan 40

Some water should be ejected from the idle exhaust port, so no pee tube was considered necessary.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

The pee hole is just a water indicator telling water pump is working properly, by watching flow can know if time to change impeller and a visual warning if you have encountered debris obstruction on LU water screens.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The 40 C has a pee indicator...It's built into the block and discharges just below the support plate.

pvanv

Admiral

The 40 C has a pee indicator...It's built into the block and discharges just below the support plate.

Duh, sorry, I was having an early-morning "middle-age" moment. Guru is right (as usual).

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Paul,

You were not really wrong. There is no pee tube....I even thought about the answer for a few seconds before I remembered how it was done on that model. I really miss the 40 C.

txflyer

Recruit

OK y'all, thanks for the replies. I wanted to add it so that I'd have a visual indication while running that there was cooling flow to the engine while I was running at full speed since you really can't see the flow at the back of the engine.

TG, I haven't seen any water dishcharge port except the ones at the back of the engine, are those the ones you are talking about or is there something else that I can see from sitting in the boat? I'm out of town right now, so I'll take a closer look when I get home.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Standing behind the engine, on the right side, just under the support plate, is a tiny hole at the base of the engine block. It shoots out a stream to the side of the engine at a 45 degree angle. Most engines have a port with a tube that leads out somewhere, but this model just has that built in opening that shoots it out. Look closely and you should see it. It is obviously plugged up at this point.

txflyer

Recruit

It's right where you said, must be plugged up. I've got it all Apart right now, but I'm looking forward to getting it back on the water and unplugging that port. Thanks for all the info! While I'm at it I'll ask y'all another question- I found a starter for pretty cheap - do I need a special solenoid or anything else special to put electric start on that motor? What about those four wires that come out of the power pack? Two go to the kill switch - the other two are just tied off - do they have something to do with electric start circuit? Thanks again for all the help!!!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

You can download a free owners manual from the www.nissamarine.com website. I think that it has a wiring diagram that you can follow for the starter system...If not, that information can be found in the service manual. As to the parts themselves, I urge you to use the original equipment parts rather than automotive. Many automotive parts are not sealed against salt and water to the same degree as marine labeled parts.

pvanv

Admiral

You can download a free owners manual from the www.nissamarine.com website. I think that it has a wiring diagram that you can follow for the starter system...If not, that information can be found in the service manual. As to the parts themselves, I urge you to use the original equipment parts rather than automotive. Many automotive parts are not sealed against salt and water to the same degree as marine labeled parts.

And I would add that automotive grade items might produce sparking, which is never a good thing. Boom.

txflyer

Recruit

Thanks for the info y'all. I think I have all the parts to put her back together this weekend. It's already waiting on a coat of paint annd then I'm hitting the river!

inkmantravis

Recruit

Came across your comment and having a prob with my ns40c. It was running and peeing out 2 small exhaust ports I think just under the engine and behind the engine down by foot right infront of the shift linkage. Engine was hot to the touch, pulled off thermostat housing and seen thermostat was stuck closed . Took it out and tried cleaning an obstruction in water flow down the head and inadvertently knocked out a plug. I drilled hole in engine case so water could flow out because I couldn't get head off to fix the plug. Is this ok ? Engine runs and pees fine now but im worried it's not going to where it's saposed to go . I broke 2 head bolts trying to take it off .

Attachments

• 20230601_125156.jpg
    20230601_125156.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 2

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome to iBoats . . .

Please do not post to threads that have been dormant for over 90 days as per forum rules. It is best to start a new topic with your relevant information.

This thread is 13 years old and the OP has not been on the forum since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.