adding electric start

buster5966

Cadet
Because of some health problems I am considering adding a electric starter to my 1988 Johnson 9.9 Does any body have a list of parts I would need....starter motor etc.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: adding electric start

Go to http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=E and click on OB Accessories from the Products dropdown list and find your motor's starter kit. It will show everything that's included Some say the site doesn't work, but I was just there a couple of minutes ago

Paul Moir

Admiral

You can get a kit from your local J/E dealer, 173344, for about $700. Comes with starter, starter bracket, new flywheel, start switch, wiring, neutral switch, rectifier and stator for charging the battery.

I guess it can also be done with a starter, bracket, flywheel, start switch (really big one - no solenoid), and associated wiring as a minimum. I think I can find the mfr. of the start switch if you get that far.

Might be worth just selling your 9.9 and picking up one with electric start.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

They are right, it doesn't work by clicking on the link. I'm not smart enough to know why.

Paul Moir

Admiral

EDIT: It's the Iboats "frame" that screws it up. Click "Remove Frame" up in the black band at the top first.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

try putting http:// in front of the link string and typing it into your browser address field.

DHPMARINE

Captain

The price seems a bit high to put in an older motor.And the kit only does 'start at motor' not remote at the helm.Maybe you can find a dealer with a donor motor (blown up or bad gearcase) and strip it for parts.Or buy a similar 9.9/15 hp with electric start and make your engine the donor.

DHP