Adding an electronic ignition

timheis

Cadet
I am thinking about adding an electronic ignition to an 87 MCM 2.5 liter (GM 4 cylinder). I have seen the kits that replace the points with a pickup. I have also heard that some of these burn up when the key is on and the motor is not running. How do I know which one to buy? Any suggestions or advise?

Thanks
Tim

Re: Adding an electronic ignition

pertronix ignitions.I had one in my mercruiser 3.7 4 cyl.worked great no more adjusting the points.make sure you buy the higher output coil also.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Make sure you get the Pertronix II. Otherwise you can burn up the ignitor if you accidently leave the key on.

sabastianunf

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was thinking about adding an electronic ignition to mine as well (same motor as above) but wasn't sure if it would improve performance or what benefits it would provide. Anyone have any input?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I have a 1980 3.0 liter 181 cubic inch GM motor. I changed the points only one time and that was just because I felt like I should every 15 years or so. I still have the old points, condenser and rotor and I carry a new set Cap, rotor, points and condenser in my tool box but I have never seen any trouble with the simple points set up.

Only clame I have seen is some say idle more even. To me uneven idle is more likely a problem of uneven cylinder comperssion or they have uneven gap on the spark plugs.

I will tell you this I have towed in one boat that made the switch to pertronix. They were skiing and picked up their skier and ended up with the key on while they had lunch. Never Would start after that.

As Boomyal says make sure you get the Pertronix II to prevert the problem from leaving the key on.

For me My engine starts in under 2 seconds idles perfect and since new in 1980 has never had a problem.
I can replace the points and condenser on the water in under 5 minutes with just a screwdriver. Sure I would set the dwell more exact when get back. Actually I also carry a dwell/volt/RPM/Ohm meter whey fishing offshore.

If the Electronics added even 5 HP I may make the switch but for me I see no reason to switch to something that can leave me stranded to get in on a kicker if there is no performance difference.

I hear people talking about constant problems with points and adjustments but in the 27 years I have owned my boat just have not seen a problem.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

I converted my Volvo AQ130C 4 cylinder to a Pertonix ignition (Pertronix II N/A for this engine) last summer and I could not be happier with it. I also replaced my OEM coil with a Pertronix coil. Significantly smoother idle and rock solid timing with a noticeable improvement in overall performace. And my points setup was in good shape, adjusted properly, etc. YMMV, but it was a very worthwhile investment for my engine.

KaGee

Admiral

I have a V-6 but my experience is the same. Smoother idle and quicker starts.

I also opted for the Flamethrower coil.

Be sure you understand how to re-wire to get 12 volts to the Igniter.