Adding a temp alarm

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a VP 280 (350 5.7) and there are no audible alarms on any of the gauges. I’d like to add some in but not sure how. I assume engine temperature and oil pressure are the two most obvious ones I should consider?

I see an “Alarm For Engine With Audible Warning Kit” online for $45 that has an oil pressure alarm set at 6psi and a temp alarm set at 200deg. The set points are non adjustable. Does that seem right for the 350?

Also I can’t find any directions on how the kit is actually installed. Wondering if anyone has put in something similar?

Thanks for any thoughts

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
I have a VP 280 (350 5.7) and there are no audible alarms on any of the gauges. I’d like to add some in but not sure how. I assume engine temperature and oil pressure are the two most obvious ones I should consider?

I see an “Alarm For Engine With Audible Warning Kit” online for $45 that has an oil pressure alarm set at 6psi and a temp alarm set at 200deg. The set points are non adjustable. Does that seem right for the 350?

Also I can’t find any directions on how the kit is actually installed. Wondering if anyone has put in something similar?

Thanks for any thoughts
Ayuh,..... Such a kit would be just fine on a 5.7l,.....

To mount the switches, you'll need a port on the t-stat housing(hot side of the t-stat), or in the intake manifold for the temp, 'n of course a pressure port for the oil,....
SBCs have oil pressure ports, down low portside of the block, just ahead of the filter boss, 'n just aft of the distributor / intake manifold, on top of the block,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The Volvo 280 is the drive

They were usually paired with an AQ260 or AQ230 motor. Since you stated 5.7 liter it will be the AQ260

The kit will be fine.

A water pressure gauge will tell you the health of your raw water pump much sooner than a high temp alarm. Neither is a substitute for annual maintenance - you should be replacing the impeller every 2-3 years and inspecting ever fall layup

Wiring is easy. Buzzer gets power from the ignition switch and the temp switch and pressure switch provide the ground path