Adding a kicker

marauder11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can anyone tell me first off if a 1987 2.5 hp Johnson will be enough to troll with on a 1974 15.5 foot Larson shark. I have a 120 hp Johnson and well it trolls fast. Any ideas would be great as i just figured i have the motor maybe could set it up on my tri hull. Not sure of bracket ect. I know i would just want to have the steering hooked together. I would set throttle from the kicker.

Thanks

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Adding a kicker

It should troll fine, but it won't be of much use in emergencies because it won't develop much speed. Just mount it on your transom is you have room. That beats a bracket any day.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

It should troll fine, but it won't be of much use in emergencies because it won't develop much speed. Just mount it on your transom is you have room. That beats a bracket any day.
Absolutely agree. Super easy to connect link for steering but that 2.5 will not get you anywhere in a hurry but still probably beat a paddle.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

Absolutely agree. Super easy to connect link for steering but that 2.5 will not get you anywhere in a hurry but still probably beat a paddle.

Yep but expect to run WO in wind/current and hope u make head way . My 4.5hp got me back twice last year . I don't know for sure if I need to carry paddle anymore .

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Yep but expect to run WO in wind/current and hope u make head way . My 4.5hp got me back twice last year . I don't know for sure if I need to carry paddle anymore .

A paddle is required by the USCGA to receive their certificate, regardless whether you have a kicker.

marauder11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I won't lie. Having a kicker is a added security thing for me too. I have two small kids and like the idea of back up. The lakes I go to are small and I avoid rough water/bad weather with the kids. I know my electric trolling motor will not go on my transom so I am going to need a bracket. I guess I will have to see.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

On my view, advantage to a small kicker for trolling on a 16 ft. hull is that the motor doesn't have to idle down as far as it would if, say on a 12' car topper. Means the kicker will run better, won't load up, probably will run cooler. You might be a little better off with a 4 or 5 1/2 hp -- little more control in the wind or a chop, and weight diff. is probably not a factor. You can get a bracket that slides into a plate mounted on the transom. I've used two or three of those, and like them (Garelick). You can remove the bracket and the motor for off season storage (and mount the bracket in the shop or garage so you can store the motor). There are a couple of different steering arms or connectors out there for attachment to the main motor. I like the rod with post and quick releases (trying to remember the name of the mfg. -- think there is one made by Teleflex). You can make the attachments up near the front of the motors at the lower cowling, or in the rear. Can attach when ready to use the troller, and detach when ready to fire up the main motor and head home. (This is not the device that attaches to the legs of the motors, but that is also a quick release system and also would work.)

Edit: See "kicker steering to I/O", post #8 for pic of above steering link.

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Here's a steering link: Ebay #552400. Not sure if it's stainless, which I think is best choice.