adding a hitch to my van

FAC

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i am getting my first boat fairly soon and my van a '97 ford E-150 does not have the stuff to tow from the factory. What all would i need to get to pull a 15' fish/ski I am new to this so if there is any other information you would need just let me know and i will get it for you,

thanks,
Forrest

Eshaw150

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: adding a hitch to my van

reese hitch , wiring for lights, ball and ball mount, ball will either be 2inch or 1 7/8 depends on what the trailer uses and i think that thats it. I might be missing something but i think that thats it.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

I don't think your new boat will weigh enough to justify getting a transmission cooler. But it would help. Have a hitch installed to the frame and i would also consider having heavy duty brakes installed the next time you need brakes. You will also need a wiring harness for trailer installed but they should be doing that when they install the hitch.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Most of those vans are ready for a bolt on hitch. You can buy one online or at the local Advance auto. It is a very easy install, not something you need to pay to have done. There are two different size receivers, 2" and 1 1/4" square solid draw bar. If you ever intend to move up and get a little bigger rig, you will probably need the 2" receiver. I would go ahead and get that one. You will need the draw bar and a wiring harness as previously mentioned, along with the proper size ball. Most of the wiring diagrams come with instructions. All of this is very doable if somewhat handy and if you have some basic tools. Good luck!

FAC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for telling me what i need, i was planning on doing it myself i do other maintenance on my cars so why not this.

woosterken

Lieutenant

check at your parts store there is a plug n play wire plug for the trailer lites.
at the back of the truck you unplug the connection where the wires cross to the other side.put the "T" fitting in and reconnect

woosterken

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

You might check into U-Haul... many of them will install a receiver hitch and wire it for ~ $ 200.

FAC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is that uhaul price for everything or just for labor? If it is the latter i will just install it myself. Otherwise that would be a great deal.

Eshaw150

Petty Officer 1st Class

i dont personally like the u haul hitch. I like the reese I think that they hold up better and hold more weight.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

DIY installation should be no issue on that vehicle. Get a hitch that is capable of way more than you intent to tow as you may regret it later when something heavier comes up that you want to upgrade to. Tranny cooler is always good but most likely don't need it for that boat. I never tow in overdrive. Some agree, some disagree. Just my personal opinion. Makes things easier on the torque converter.

cribber

Lieutenant

Look for a suitable Reese or Hidden Hitch that fits your ride. I installed a Hidden Hitch on my Pacifica and bolting it up took less time than figuring how I wanted to route the wiring harness. Just get the beefiest one that is designed for your ride. My Pacifica is rated 3500 but I installed a Class 3 for 5000. When towing stick to pulling than the manufacturers rated towing capacity or less and you should be okay.

jonesg

Admiral

I have a ford E350 and there was a harness connected to the frame underneath for a trailer. Take a peek, driver side.

I would go with the bigger hitch and tranny cooler.

Then you'll HAVE to sell the boat because its too small for your tow vehicle.:D

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

you could get a class IV in case you ever get a larger boat or want to tow something heavier than 5000 lbs.

FAC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for that tip JonesG i looked under my van and the harness was zip tied to the frame

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

go with reese hitch and tranny cooler and don't tow in overdrive--saves the band and torque converter