Added Marker Lights and Now I'm blowing fuses

Hermyboy3000

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My rear trailer lights worked fine (stop, turn, running), except that I had no marker lights.

So, today I added new LED marker lights. The install was pretty straight forward, the new marker grounds to the trailer and the hot lead taps into the brown wire. But, when I turn the running lights on - POP - I blow the 10a fuse. What's the deal? Is it a bad ground? Why did my lights work before, but won't with the new markers?

One last note, my trailer lights and wires are only 4 years old.

Thanks!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Added Marker Lights and Now I'm blowing fuses

So..if you disconnect the one new marker light it doesn't blow the fuse?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... You screwed up Somewhere,... You have a Dead Short...

Splat

Lieutenant

Yea something happened.

Places I would start checking are:
Make sure the new LED light is wired correctly with the positive and negative.

Also I would look very closely around the area where the positive wire comes through the frame and make sure its not chafed.

If you don't find the problem there now its time to start doing some investigating. You'll have to trace the entire brown wire from the plug all the way to the back of the trailer and make sure its not chaffed somewhere.

Bill

Miroash

Banned

What is the total draw of all your lights? I believe LED lights draw less amps than regular bulbs so you should be ok with 10a fuse. I think you must have created a short with your attaching hardware.

can-amsledder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea something happened.

Places I would start checking are:
Make sure the new LED light is wired correctly with the positive and negative.

Also I would look very closely around the area where the positive wire comes through the frame and make sure its not chafed.

If you don't find the problem there now its time to start doing some investigating. You'll have to trace the entire brown wire from the plug all the way to the back of the trailer and make sure its not chaffed somewhere.

Bill

What are the two colors of wires used on the new lights you bought? Red and black or maybe white and black? If it?s white and black white will be ground. Don?t ask me how I know this!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

What are the two colors of wires used on the new lights you bought? Red and black or maybe white and black? If it?s white and black white will be ground. Don?t ask me how I know this!
Doesn't matter if you wire the LED lights backwards as far as drawing too much current. If you wire them backwards, they just won't turn on at all.

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Doesn't matter if you wire the LED lights backwards as far as drawing too much current. If you wire them backwards, they just won't turn on at all.

Correct!
Either you pinched a wire, a connection is grounding to teh trailer, the new light fixture is defective, or you have just plain exceeded the fuses current rating with too may lights.
try disconnecting the new lights. If the fuse don't blow, then add one at a time. When the fuse blows, disconnect the last one added, and connect it ITSELF to a power source. Fuse blows if the fixture is defective.