Add cleat to trailer?

maineiac5586

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I noticed when I launch my boat off my roller trailer it takes the winch strap very far with it as it's coming off the trailer. I have a bow line tied to the boat but I can't undue the winch strap until the tension is gone which is usually far down the trailer. What's the thoughts on putting a cleat on the trailer near the winch stand, tie the bow line to it and let it take the tension of the bow line so the tension comes off the winch strap pretty much right away. Then I can undue the bow line from the cleat and control the roll off of the boat with the bow line?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That will work. I had the same issue so what I’ve done with my bow rider is loop a dock line from one cleat loop it around the winch stand and then tie off the other end at the other bow cleat. This will hold the boat from rolling off the trailer while you take tension off the bow strap. Then after you lower the drive & start up and let it warm up. Then untie the end you tied off and shift to reverse & back into the water…

maineiac5586

That will work. I had the same issue so what I’ve done with my bow rider is loop a dock line from one cleat loop it around the winch stand and then tie off the other end at the other bow cleat. This will hold the boat from rolling off the trailer while you take tension off the bow strap. Then after you lower the drive & start up and let it warm up. Then untie the end you tied off and shift to reverse & back into the water…
Believe it or not I've never driven a boat off or on a trailer and I've owned close to 10 boats over 25 years. But yeah I get the idea. Thanks

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Ah yes that works if you have a dock next to the ramp. Ours are separated so you have to drive the boat off the trailer then dock it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Attach line to bow cleat
Wrap line around winch post once, twice tops
Back boat into water
Back off winch until line comes tight
Remove winch hook
Use tension to control boat as it rolls off trailer.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Attach line to bow cleat
Wrap line around winch post once, twice tops
Back boat into water
Back off winch until line comes tight
Remove winch hook
Use tension to control boat as it rolls off trailer.
THIS ALSO WORKS TO HOLD THE BOAT IN PLACE WHILE YOU ATTACH THE WINCH STRAP TO LOAD.

Oooops, damn caps lock.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Great idea....even us old dogs can learn a new trick on ocassion. Just replaced all my rollers with new poly rollers, damn thing rolls back just looking at it....was just thinking about something to fix this new ussue..

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Same thing I have a roller as well. Can’t recall where I got that idea, might have thought of it myself or saw it on some forum. My local ramp is convenient but with the dock not being close to it, when launching alone you have to get creative…

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you plan to attach a line from the bow cleat to the winch stand, it makes sense to assure the cleat can hold it. Many boats attach their cleats with simple bolts (1/4" or smaller) nuts and washers. These can pull through the fiberglass.

Make sure the cleat has a backing plate and at least 1/4" bolts.

You can attach the line to the bow eye just as easy on flat ground (use a winch hook or equivalent) and avoid wimpy cleat installation.

flashback

Captain
If you plan to attach a line from the bow cleat to the winch stand, it makes sense to assure the cleat can hold it. Many boats attach their cleats with simple bolts (1/4" or smaller) nuts and washers. These can pull through the fiberglass.

Make sure the cleat has a backing plate and at least 1/4" bolts.

You can attach the line to the bow eye just as easy on flat ground (use a winch hook or equivalent) and avoid wimpy cleat installation.
Yea I've seen some screwed to the deck.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Mine are good. Boat sits on a rotating mooring with 2 pennant lines hooked to the cleats; it’s been out there in tropical storms with no problems. When I had the boat painted by one of the best ‘glass shops on Long Island the replaced all 4 & did a nice job….

maineiac5586

Mine are good. Boat sits on a rotating mooring with 2 pennant lines hooked to the cleats; it’s been out there in tropical storms with no problems. When I had the boat painted by one of the best ‘glass shops on Long Island the replaced all 4 & did a nice job….
Can you share the glass shop info. Looking to restore the luster in my wellcraft

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Here's what I do.
I dock on the starboard side so I put the loop under that side cleat, just loop it around the winch stand and tie it off on the other cleat. Take the tension off the winch strap and disconnect it, the line holds the boat. This way also the dock line is on the right side for when I dock the boat at that dock in the background to then park the Jeep and trailer.
Then I stand on the spare tire & use that little step to climb over into the bow. Lower drive, start up, after it's warm, untie and pull line in boat, and shift to reverse. It won't roll off fast, just starts to move when I untie the line. On a steeper ramp, it might well move faster, this one is pretty shallow.

Attachments

• end of season 2019 #1.jpg
    end of season 2019 #1.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 6

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
I always launch where there's a dock. I loop a bow line around the winch post a half dozen times, take off safety chain, let winch strap out till bow line is tight, take strap off and remove bow line when ready to launch. it comes off the rollers quite fast. Very simple operation.