Adapter to Powerhead

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok I have been getting help with my problem where the engine will only run without the cowling. Is it the adapter to Powerhead I need to replace if exhaust is killing the engine? I have inspected the engine and around this gasket there seems to be a black sticky goo. Here is the link http://12.2.215.22/pub/default.asp?SessionId=da654fa7cd63408b87b8218837cc7edc&Lang=EN&brands=EJ it is number 18 under Exhaust Housing. I think the link only takes you to the catalog so here are the spec: I have a 90HP 1992 Evinrude E90TLEND. Thanks in advance for the help. Also if I get the sercive manual is this a job I can do myself without having to take it to a shop? Be advised that this will be my first outboard fix.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Adapter to Powerhead

Do you have black oil leaking from the base gasket, along with exhaust under the cowl? If so, replace it. Item 18 is the base gasket and it is a common failure part on these crossflows. You should be able to follow the service manual and replace the gasket. Pretty straight forward.

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It appears to be some sort of oil or oil mixture that is leaking around this gasket. But this could be the problem that is causing the engine to die when the cowling is on right?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The oil around the base gasket indicates it is leaking. When you see the oil, the exhaust smoke is getting into the cowling area, and is probably being sucked back into the airbox. That can definitely cause running issues. Your lower cowl is sealed, so your engine depends on fresh air from the louvered vents in the upper cowling. Make sure you have your stock upper cowling. If you have a replacement cowl, it must be vented.