Adapter to Powerhead Screws

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am trying to replace the adapter to powerhead gasket and I have followed the manual and removed every bolt that it says but when i go to lift it off onle the front actually comes up. In the back it has 2 bolts that you are supposed to remove the nuts from and I did that but appears that the bolts could be frozen in place due to salt water corrosion. I have tried everything to knock them loose but that are in such a difficult position. Any way to free them or is there possible something else stuck?

iwombat

Captain
Re: Adapter to Powerhead Screws

Remove your exhaust cover so you can get to the area better with a torch. Heat the heck out of those studs from the top.

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have already removed the front and rear exhaust housing cover.What do you mean from the top? They stick out downwards. A torch wont hurt the adapter?

iwombat

Captain

A torch won't hurt the adapter. You should be able to see the tops of those two studs with the exhaust cover off. Heat them until they glow bright red.

Your other options are to cut the block away from the studs and get it welded back together. Or, cut the adapter and get a new one or get it welded.

Been there, done that.

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think the heating way would be better. The studs can be replaced right? What kind of metal or alloy is the adapter made out of? What are the studs made out of?

iwombat

Captain

Aluminum adapter, stainless studs.

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Would a simple propane torch be enough or do i need an acetylene torch?

iwombat

Captain

Propane (or better yet MAPP gas) is enough to heat all the metal w/o risk of melting the aluminum.

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There is nothing inside the adapter that could be holding it on? I am going to try the heating here in a moment.

iwombat

Captain

Nothing but corrosion, and that can be a real bugger. I had to cut one out a couple of powerheads ago. Heat usually does the trick.

iwombat

Captain

I'm 95% certain. However, I don't know the year or size of your motor. I'm assuming a V-4 of some sort. In that case, it's a dealer item and readily available.

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How long is it supposed to take to get the screws red hot? I cannot seem to get them to that point.

iwombat

Captain

That propane may not be quite hot enough to get stainless to glow. Put the torch on for a good 5 minutes each and try pulling the powerhead.

As a last resort before cutting the studs, put some red loctite in the nuts and put them back on the studs. Let it sit for a few hours and see if you can turn the studs out of the block using the well-secured nuts.

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok if I were to cut them how would I go about doing that?

iwombat

Captain

What I did was cut the webbing out to either side of the threaded hole the studs are in. I went about 1/4" out from the hole, where possible avoiding any of the threaded holes for the exhaust cover. That made the weld job easier since the welder could use both the adapter and the exhaust cover to place the parts.

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After five minutes It still did not even look like it was hot. Would you suggest going to the hardware store and buying MAPP Gas? Home Depot sells it right?

iwombat

Captain

I use MAPP gas for pretty much everything (heating engine parts, soldering copper plumbing, you name it). It'll fit right into your propane torch and pretty much everyone sells it.

Look for the yellow canister.

Edit: You might have to take it through a few hot/cold cycles to really break up the corrosion. If you have a way to cool it quick - like a CO2 fire-extinguisher or a hunk of dry ice that'll help too.

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

SO if I used to CO2 fire extinguisher it will eventually loosen up? Or will I have to heat it and force it off when it is red hot? Mapp will make stainless red hot?

iwombat

Captain

If you have a way to cool it. . .

Heat it w/ the MAPP or propane gas.
Cool it down
Heat again and pull
If that fails, cool it and pull.

Repeat

When you get tired of that, turn the CO2 on a can of beer and have a frosty one.