achris... little more help?

hindsight

Cadet
You helped me on a reverse locking mechanism problem on my '84 Merc 7.5 a couple of weeks ago. Thanks, but I have another question. I've replaced the cam and rod successfully, I think, and it engages properly in reverse to lock the motor down. When the motor is placed in neutral however, the lockdown remains engaged. Won't this prohibit my tilting the motor up and out of the water when not in use? Have I done something wrong or am I just not thinking it through correctly?

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander
Re: achris... little more help?

The rev locking mech is supposed to lock in neutral. It is only released in Forward..Sounds like you got it right.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Unicorn is correct. It should only release in forward...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hindsight,<br /><br />Unicorn and Rick are correct. Congratulations, you now have the system working as Carl designed it. The 'trick' is that you must be in forward gear to raise and lower the motor.<br /><br />Chris..........

hindsight

Cadet

Update: Man what a pain! I was showing the motor to a potential buyer last night and now I can't get the shift handle to move into the reverse position at all. The lock down still engages in neutral and releases in forward, but I meet with complete resistance when trying to shift to reverse. I haven't done anything new to the motor since I tested it after the repair just 36 hours ago. It was working fine then. Suddenly no reverse shifting ability. What's the deal now... any ideas?

achris

Sometimes they can be difficult to shift into reverse if the engine's not running. What you may need to do is to turn the prop while moving the shift lever, this is of course with the engine not running :) <br /><br />Chris............

hindsight

Cadet

Right. I'll try that and acknowledge publicly that you have done your due dilligence in warning me not to try turning the prop while the engine is running. You can never be to careful dispensing know how, can you? ;) <br /><br />Seriously, everyone's knowledge and willingness to help is appreciated.

achris

I don't know what it's like where you are (where are you?). But here we have some right Darwin candidates! <br /><br />Good luck and glad to be of help.<br /><br />Chris............

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Yep..<br /><br />Don't try to force it in to gear when not running. As Chris said, turn the prop slighty and it will go in. If you use force, something will give.