Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage 15-35%???

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage 15-35%???

Even in small percentages I would hate to think what it might do to some of the soft parts in your fuel system.

f_inscreenname

Commander

It says in the article that acetone wont hurt any thing in the fuel system.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I think most modern engines were designed with the ability to tolerate alcohol. Just guessing, acetone is probably similar to alcohol.<br /><br />I have a hard time beliving these statements:"Alcohol in fuel attracts water. This hurts mileage because water acts like a fire extinguisher. Some cars may run badly and even quit due to the incombustible nature of the water-laden fuel. We know of a dozen cars that recently stopped running due to water in the alcohol and gas mixture."<br /><br />The author should know that acetone in the gas will allow the gas to mix with water, just like alcohol.<br /><br />Ken

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

http://www.lubedev.com/articles/ <br />Here's another article, maybe not very scientific but advocating the same thing. I have a couple of friends that work at f/g manufacturing facility that use acetone in their fuel with positive results...Chief

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Jeezz...out to the shop for more experiments! How gonna be the guinea pig with his car?

dogsdad

Lieutenant

The chemistry of alcohol and acetone are entirely different, but I would make no statement about the effects of adding either to gasoline except that acetone can soften or even dissolve some rubber-like compounds.

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know...<br /><br />I did a few Google searches, and his article is one of the few I could find that touted it's use. There's one company marketing an additive that supposidly contains a high percentage of acetone XtraMPG <br /><br />I DID find quite a few line this one that mention the corrosive properties of acetone.<br /><br />More scientifically:
  • <br />
  • NITROPARAFFINS (nitropropane, propylene oxide, peric acid, acetone, etc.)<br />
  • Advantages: Oxygen and nitrogen bearing compounds raise octane and add more power.<br />
  • Disadvantages: Leans mixture, negative effects of octane boosting properties; Corrosive to rubber & plastic.<br />
<br /> <br />Further on down he talks about testing yourself, and he says,<br />
See ScanGauge.com for an instrument that fits any car 1996 or newer. It measures your real-time MPG, inlet temperature and many more details as you drive. This inexpensive tool should
That "inexpensive tool" is $130 <br /><br />I think I'll sit this one out!

beniam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

f-inscreenname<br /><br />Fuel additives come up in the racing community.Motorheads will do anything to sqeeze out more power,cost almost no object.<br /><br />Methyl alcohol-Allows more antiknock, hence more compression--and more power.<br /><br />Acetone more antiknock than gasoline, but less than methanol.<br /><br />Methanol is a solvent in both gasoline and water. A little bit of water will help antiknock. Gas with meth standing too long will attract more water than you want.More water in your gas is not better.<br /><br />Metanol has more btu s than acetone.<br /><br />Downside of acetone: your liver can process a teeny amount ok (acetone occurs naturally, for instance as by product of burning fat as you diet).<br /><br />Larger amounts, acetone can cause unconciousness,liver and kidney damage,respiratory failure,nerve damage,birth defects and a lowering of enthousiam of your fun organ.<br /><br />Powerfull solvent, acetone. Will happily dissolve in water, gasoline, into your lungs, through your skin, and will explode with gusto.Ever smell nail polish remover? Also acetone will soften some rubber parts.<br /><br />Be happy,enjoy life, spring is almost here. Batavier

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Finally, a topic that even I as a newbie can contribute! <br /><br />Long before I got my boat, put on a captains hat and started talking like Popeye, I was a chemist, it is my degree, I worked in an environmental lab for a year and then was in instrumentation R&D for a few years before leaving the field. now that I am done with my credentials (as weak as they are). Here are my two cents.<br /><br />I agree with Boomyal and Dogsdad 100%. Acetone can destroy rubber, as in fuel lines, membranes, filler hoses etc. Even the article talks about how it can destroy cheap plastic parts. <br /><br />I do not know if being diluted in Gasoline does anything for weakening the chemical incompatibility. Personally, I wouldn't even want to risk dripping acetone on my freshly painted deck (well after I paint it it will be freshly painted). I do not think the risks justify the result<br /><br />Just my $0.02<br />cheers<br />e

dolluper

Captain

What you save isn't going to compare with the repairs Pay me now or later comes into effect You wouldn't believe what methinol has done to fuel system's, but on the other note if your racing who cares you will tear it down every race or so anyways[sponsers with deep pockets]

NYMINUTE

Captain

May be lemon scented exhaust emissions would sell in SoCal.

beniam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Eggkr8<br />Finally a chemist who can speak English.<br />Whens yun guys going to translate them organic chem books into English? Give me a headache trying to read them. Batavier

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Are they still putting MTBE in gasoline? Sounded good at first until we heard about all the OTHER pollution it caused. Check the Haz Mat listing for Acetone. Scarey stuff! :eek: <br /><br /> http://www.state.nj.us/health/eoh/rtkweb/0006.pdf#search='acetone%20hazard'