Accidently tilted motor up while going 5MP- 89 Force 85HP

7501sl

Cadet
So I was out on the lake Saturday and while cruising out of a cove at around 5MP, my engine got suddenly loud. I turned around to see that had tilted up out of the water. I must have accidently hit the tilt switch. I killed the engine and tilted it back down. It was running out of the water for no more then 8 seconds or so. I ran the engine at WOT for more then an hour with no problems. It could be that Im just being paranoid but the pee hole stream doesn't seem to be as strong when running at WOT. The impellor was replaced a few months ago by a certified boat mechanic and Ive only taken the boat out twice since then. Could I have damaged the impellor? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Accidently tilted motor up while going 5MP- 89 Force 85HP

You might have hurt the impeller???
Maybe not??
The only way to tell is to take it apart.
Try running a piece of weed eater line up in the passage and see if there is a block.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

O! M! G! You have destroyed the impeller and water pump. You probably have overheated the engine, damaged the head gasket and melted a couple of pistons in addition to scoring the cylinders. You will need a complete rebuild.

NAH! CALM DOWN! The water pump has residual moisture in it and this will lubricate the impeller for a couple of seconds or so out of the water. Unless you run an engine for 30 seconds to a minute or more without water, no damage will happen. When approaching the dock, I frequently raise the engine out of the water while running, just before shutting it down. Examination of the impeller shows no wear after three seasons of this.

Jiggz

Captain

As both Admirals said, you're good to go as long as you told them the real scenario.