Accessory switches

FAJSAM

Seaman Apprentice
When I switch on any ACC. they all come on. When the stereo is on it goes off when another ACC is switched on and they all come on. Help!

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Accessory switches

You have your switches wired wrong. Can you post a picture of the wiring?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Here is a simple diagram showing how current flows through a circuit. Follow the arrows.

LightingCircuit.jpg

Here is another way to look at the wiring.

Basicwiring.jpg

I have no idea why things turn off when you turn the radio on. We can't see your boat. But for troubleshooting purposes, disconnect the radio until you get the switches working right. Then wire the radio correctly using the instructions that came with it.

FAJSAM

Seaman Apprentice

all gauges were working fine and then the gas gauge went. To fix that I ended up rewiring the sender directly to the switch. That problem solved and everything working fine until recently and everything comes on and the fuel gauge will drop to E when another switch is on. I am suspecting an original grounding wire issue. The boat is a 2005 Nautic Star Sport deck with Faria gauges. The radio replacement was of same brand and simply plugged in the wiring harness to the existing harness.

drewpster

Commander

Do your switches have backlights or "on" indicators in them?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

having trouble understanding what you mean by this: "...rewiring the sender directly to the switch."

try connecting the sender to the gauge instead.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Agreed -- the sender is definitely NOT connected to ANY switch. It is connected to the "S" (sender) terminal of the fuel gauge. Here is a diagram of the fuel gauge circuit.

Gauge-SenderWiring.jpg