AC and DC charger on board, are they compatible?

sigfire

Cadet
Ok Gents,
Have searched and patience was lost. So, I have a simple question. I have two batts on board, one crank and one TM batt. I already have an AC charger (two bank) on board for charging at home. I would like to add the dualpro "charge on the run" single bank charger for the TM batt. All the math works for charging from my I/O motor, but, will having both of these installed conflict or do any damage once I get home and plug the AC charger back in and leaving all connections in place? Please be gentle, all advice and knowledge greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: AC and DC charger on board, are they compatible?

You engine is currently charging the starting battery when the engine is running, and the on-board charger is connected to it and there are no issues are there!. So Yes, you can add any device, whether it is a dual battery switch, isolator, ACR etc and everything will continue to get along nicely.

sigfire

Cadet

Thanks silvertip! after reading many posts, somehow I know you would step up and feed me some knowledge! I am now looking at the stealth1charging system that has both charging options in one unit. Thanks again!

fishrdan

Admiral

Yes, you can install both of them as they won't be working at the same time.

I charge my TM batteries off my I/O and have to be careful as I have a 100amp alternator that puts out 50-60amps at idle. It works well as I can troll off the main while charging up the TM batteries, but If the batteries are heavily depleted I can't run wide open as it would be throwing too much current at the TM batteries, 50amps/battery is too high of a charge rate. Even 25-30 amps is too high for my liking, but it's worked OK so far. I check the batteries electrolyte level a couple times a year and they always need a bit of water.

I checked that DualPro on the run charger and it looks pretty cool, something that would work better than what I'm doing with a 12/24V plug and battery switch. Though one thing I noticed is the wiring looks a bit small to handle the "full output of the engine", the wiring "looks" the same as what I have on my MinnKota 330, 10 amp/bank AC charger. From their picture, I'm kind of skeptical that it can deliver what an I/O alternator can. The wiring would have to be pretty substantial to handle 50-60 amps of a stock I/O alternator, 10-12ga wire for a short 5' run. Maybe it is, but it doesn't look like heavy wiring from the picture.

Have you looked at an ACR yet? Blue Seas kit might work better as it will allow you to combine the batteries if your engine start battery dies, emergency backup. This kit is cheaper, but will probably be more expensive once you add in all the wiring needed to connect it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

you should be able to run wot all you want fisherdan.... the 100 amp alternator should have a voltage regulator and if so, you won't hurt your batts (they won't accept the full amperage available) as long as you aren't charging at too high of a voltage.... I have TWIN 100 amp alternators and they won't overcharge even if they are wired to only one batt.

now if your voltage reg were bad and charging at 18 volts or so it would be a far different story.