abraision free line

pgpg5860

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking for a line that will stand up to the arrow tooth flounders that frequent where I fish, the line I presently use is the 100lb Tuf-line but the flounders cut this in no time causing lot's of lost tackle. Any ideas out there?
thanks

thurps

Chief Petty Officer
Re: abraision free line

I have always used shorty ( 6" ) steel leaders when fishing halibut.

pgpg5860

Seaman Apprentice

I've tried a 1' - 3' 300lb leader but the flounder cut it above my leader making the leader useless. What is "wire trace" I haven't heard of that product?
thanks

skimmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've tried a 1' - 3' 300lb leader but the flounder cut it above my leader making the leader useless. What is "wire trace" I haven't heard of that product?
thanks

This is the stuff

Attachments

• wire.jpg
    wire.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 0

pgpg5860

Seaman Apprentice

thanks skimmer I'll look into where we can find some and give it a try

Boatist

Rear Admiral

For Flounder an Hailbut I use 20 pound P-line leader and never had a problem.
Must be a much different fish.

For Shark do use 90 lb wire leader about 2 foot long.

skimmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For Flounder an Hailbut I use 20 pound P-line leader and never had a problem.
Must be a much different fish.

For Shark do use 90 lb wire leader about 2 foot long.

I was thinking the same thing "300lb leader" How big are the flounder over there, thats big game material, I think it might have been a typo 30lbs is more like it.

pgpg5860

Seaman Apprentice

Yes 300lb is correct, the flounder we deal with are called "arrow tooth flounder" these critters have teeth about 1/8" long and lot's of them. They are only around the 15lb range but they seam to rake the line shreading it. With 100lb tuf-line I've had them cut it off pretty quickly. You mention using P-line leader, what is that I haven't heard of it?

skimmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you try wire trace, If their cutting through 300lb line it doesn't matter what brand line you buy P-line or whatever they'll get through it, try running your leader to a wire trace.

pgpg5860

Seaman Apprentice

I haven't tried wire trace, that's one of the things I've been thinking about trying. Just to clairify a bit they don't cut through the 300lb mono but bite at the swivel where we connect it to the tuf-line, I've found that if I have more than 1' of mono then the swivel is at the depth the flounder swim at and they seam to hit the line and swivel. The flounder swim about 5' - 10' above the bottom, with a 3' - 5' jigging motion for halibut I'm constantly in teh flounder zone.