About changing the Water Pump (Impeller)

TonyD20

Seaman Apprentice
It looks like I will have to change my water pump since I have had the boar for 5 years but never changed it...

I would guess, to change the pump, you'd have top drop the gear case? If so, what about the gasket? Is that an automatic or depends on the wear of the gasket? The gasket was only replaced 2 years ago by the dealer....

The motor I have is an '92 Evinrude 175 V6

I have the OMC book too, it tells me how to replace the pump but not really how to get to the pump... :)

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: About changing the Water Pump (Impeller)

Getting to the pump is the easiest part, providing the screws aren't seized up. You will see the impeller housing, once you get the lower unit off. You won't find a gasket at the seam on that lower unit.

TonyD20

Seaman Apprentice

There's no seal or gasket bewteen the gear case and the motor?

TonyD20

Seaman Apprentice

So, I am looking at the service book for my engine (and BTW, it's a Johnson not Evinrude like I previously mentioned) and I am stuck on 1 and 2...

I do not know where these areas are... can someone help me out with this? Thanks so much.. here is a scan of the service manual..

When it says shift the gearcase FORWARD, are they saying to put the motor in Gear forward? Or do they mean of physical nature... am I roating the propeller shaft while shifting the gearcase forward?

also, where is the shift rod link?

Attachments

• gear case.jpg
    gear case.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 0

rpastor

Seaman Apprentice

Turn the propeller as you are shifting into forward gear.

TonyD20

Seaman Apprentice

Turn the propeller as you are shifting into forward gear.

That sounds like it will take two people.. :)

Anyone know anything about the other questions? Anyone?

Craftsman_85

Seaman

The Shift rod linkage will be found at the base of the motor head under the cowling normally tucked away in a hard to reach spot under your carbs. And no there is no gasket between the gearcase and the exhaust housing. It should have the instructions in the water pump repair kit for what kind of marine grade adhesive you need to buy youll probably have to buy some triple guard grease and some gasket sealing compound as well.

TonyD20

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, for your responce, craftsman!