Aaron G

Fly Rod

Commander
:) I see that you already made arrangements for a place to stay in Key West!!! That's good!!! When ya going???? Looked around for places to stay in the future and inquired about pets and found that most places don't allow pets!!! Where we stayed, "Rainbow Bend" they allowed pets with an extra charge of $25.00 per day!!!! Did find a couple of nice places to stay the next time we go for reasonable money and one place had a beach for 90 bucks a day, beats paying 225 bucks!!!<br /><br />You can rent fishing rods from most bait & tackle shops for about 10 bucks a day!!! 20' center consoles start at 200 a day plus gas, need a charge card for a 300 dollar deposit!!! Look around for a six pact charter that will take individuals to make up a party of six,cost about 80 bucks a person!!! When fishing from land most people fish around the bridges, fishing is not allowed on bridges!!! You may have to travel a few miles north from Key West on route 1 to fish from land!!!<br /><br />When fishing from land or party boat,the key is live bait, pintails or shrimp!!! You can puchase a battery operated airrator for 9-12 bucks, operates on 2 d-cell batteries and they also sell covers for a 5 gallon bucket!! find yourself a bucket and you can fish live bait all week!!!<br /><br />This may help you in the future, www.petswelcome.com It list places through out the country that accept pets!!! Found this while reading a magazine on the plane!!! ;) :cool:

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Aaron G

I'm heading out wednesday morning. 21 hours in the car with my wife and two dogs. :eek: My place wants an extra $25 a night for the dogs too. That seemed fair. I'm paying $160 a night (dogs included) www.redroosterinn.com<br /><br />I really wanted to bring my own rods as I'm partial to them, but They don't break down, and I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with them in the car or on the roof. Thats good info about renting rods. I might just do that. I'm definately going to rent a boat. Ideally, I'd like a pontoon boat, but I'll take whatever's there. <br /><br />Thanks for the hints on the live bait and petswelcome.com. I hope I have a good story to tell next week when I get back. <br /><br />Did you have a good time on your trip?

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

The trip was awesome! The 22 hour drive went by pretty fast. The Keys are beautiful !<br /><br />I ended up renting a 17' center console. My wife and I toured all around on it, but didn't end up catching any fish. <br /><br />I can't wait to go again.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Glad you had a great time!!!!<br />Did ya rent the boat in Key West or a little further north?????<br />Not as much traffic in the Keys as in central florida<br />One place i recomend to stop if in Key West is the airport at the avis desk and they have excellent road maps of the area!!the airport is never busy!!!!<br />If you or anybody else going in that direction and staying around Marathon I have a couple of nice reasonable places to stay!!!<br /><br />Key Colony Beach Motel 305-289-0411 very clean rooms!! Has a nice beach and pool!!!<br /><br />Crystal Bay Resort 888-289-8089 has website!! very nice efficenies!!! Has a sandy area along the water!!! This is a 6 acre area I'd recomend staying nearer to their sand area if you wanna soak in the sun!!!<br /><br />Holiday Inn 305-289-0222 no beach!!!<br /><br /><br />Holiday Inn

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

I rented the boat in Key West. It was a really nice boat. I took the boat to the Cruise ship dock. Its neat being in a little boat next to a 700' cruise ship. <br /><br />-Aaron