AAAhhhhh.. the age old question...i/o vs ob

shawn7

Cadet
Hello,
I've made several calls to dealers and one to Mercury and have inquierd about I/O vs OUtboard. I'm at my wits end on this decision. From what the Mercury guy said, was as long as the water is not too corrosive, I'm ok. I've had dealers tell me their fine also. This boat will be trailored and not stored in the water. I asked about the optional fresh water cooling system and one guy told me as long as the boat is not kept in the water, I'm ok (that's w/fresh water flushing when I get out).

I could use some advice from I/O guys who use their boats in Salt Water.

The boat in question are Tahoe Q4. And this will be purchased new.

Thanks for any help,
Shawn

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
Re: AAAhhhhh.. the age old question...i/o vs ob

Looks like you want an I/O. So go for it. You know it's going to be a little more maintenance and if you are ready to have it done or do it yourself, so what? Go and enjoy.8)

shawn7

Cadet

captain.. just sent you a PM.

thanks,
shawn

mtnrat

Chief Petty Officer

I like the I/O. The fresh water cooling option is for me a must. I think the dealer is just trying to keep the price down so you will not be scared away from purchase. Peace of mind. easier to maintain, greater longevity. Whats not to like except for the small initial investment that for me pays back big.
Mtnrat.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you are going into salt water with an IO, it would be best to have FWC system. It just keeps all the rust and corrosion away from the engine internals.
Since you mentioned Merc, I am assuming you are also talking Mercruiser if you were to go IO. Since you are talking a new boat, and I have no idea what a Tahoe Q4 looks like, never seen one. But look at the room for maintenance. Not sure if you are talking V6, V8, or maybe a 3.0L and not sure what drive. But if you have a Bravo drive, look at where the raw water pump is located, and find out what it's going to take to replace it.
I have a couple of different boats that require an engine removal just to replace the raw water pump impeller. And it needs to be done every other year.
IF you have room for the maintenance, great, consider using something like Salt-Away to flush the engine and spray off the drive each time. It will help a lot, either IO or OB.

Here is a link to salt away

http://www.saltawayproducts.com/

shawn7

Cadet

Don S. Here is a pic of the boat. And yes Mercruiser is the motor. Stern Drive 3.0. Thanks for the link.

Again.. thanks for the input.

TAQ4SPR206_PB_06_700.jpg

MelLandry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No one ever mentions the form factor in these discussions. I/Os just LOOK better. I think they make the boat look more refined (even though a comparable outboard probably cost more). Picture a giant ugly black powerhead behind those two pretty ladies in the picture above... it just wouldn't do anything for me... well... wouldn't do AS MUCH for me... there.

shawn7

Cadet

I agree.. the i/o's look much better.

Same boat w/the outboard...

Q4SPRTOBR106_PB_06_700.jpg

MelLandry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

See... with the outboard you only pick up half as many chicks.

I rest my case.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sorry to throw a wrench in the discussion but if you are looking at a new boat you may want to look at something with the Volvo drive. I have a Volvo and my Mom has a Mercury in her boat and I can tell you from experience that the Volvo product is dramatically better with regards to design and maint. Since you are looking at a new boat, you really do have a choice and the drives are about the same price. A while back their was a poll on this forum that talked about preferences with regards to the 2 manufacturers and the overwhelming majority of the people thought that the Volvo was a better design and easier to maintain. The only drawback to the Volvo is the ease of finding parts but this has never been a problem for me.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

MelLandry said:
See... with the outboard you only pick up half as many chicks.

I rest my case.

o:)................Owned............:love:

uaw9fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That depends on whether you like "clamp on blow aparts" or not.
Stick with the I/O FWC

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I work on mercs,volvos, and am certified,or have been on many outboards,
give me a V6 yamaha anyday.
but if I had to have a stren drive only volvo would be behind me as I detest working on my stuff.
that I/O tahoe looks good with all that fancy interior, does it also allow room for periodic maint?
like DonS can attest, sometime a good looking boat is 3 times the maint cost due to all them puuurrrtty cusions :):).
with a FWC 3.0 you will still need riser/manifold maint about every 3 years if used in saltwater.
some of the V mercruisers use antifreeze in the manifolds and only saltwater to cool the risers.
makes maint easier.

shawn7

Cadet

Guys.. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. After taking my needs and wants into consideration (and the advice on this board).. I've decided to get the OB Q4. It has the Mercury 115 Optimax.

Once I get it, (tomorrow :) ) I'll take some pics and post.

Again.. thanks for the help!

~Shawn