A Wild Ride - Indy Racing Style

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
I have never been an avid racing fan but have manage to go to a few over the years. Several weeks ago my oldest daughter called and asked if I would be interested in going with her to an Indy Racing League race that was being held in St. Petersburg Fl on April 3rd. Seems she knows the IRL head of safety who would be our host. It took me a long nanosecond to decide. Our host had arranged not only for gate and hot pit passes but for me to go for two laps around the 1.8 mile race course in a stretched, but full blown Indy Race car. Here is the car:<br /><br />
4100245.jpg
<br /><br />They fit me out with complete fire suit, stocking cap, boots and helmet.<br /><br />
DSCF0025.jpg
<br /><br />It took two guys to get you strapped in. The cockpit is quite cramped (I am 6'1" @ 200 lbs & 64 yrs old). There was a guy who was supposed to go before me and when his turn came up he could not fit into the car. Strapped in it looks like this:<br /><br />
2260041.jpg
<br /><br />The ride was beyond description. These cars weigh 1,600 pounds and are pushed around the track by 680 hp. They cost $650,000 each not counting the engine (no not an OMC, Yammy or Merc). They built two of these cars a couple of years ago to give rides to sponsors, advertisers and those members of the public that can afford a $350.00 ride. <br /><br />You have a post between your knees with two hand grips. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how squeamish you might be) you can not see forward due to the drivers helmet in front of you. I don't know the top speed but I would guess around 175 mph. They are capable of 220 mph. We did not run flat out as you would at Indy. St. Pete is a road course with many turns and one long strait away.<br /><br />I'm ready to go again.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: A Wild Ride - Indy Racing Style

That's pretty cool. Looks like fun, but not for me. I like them straight shots.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Definetly sounds like a blast. Too bad they won't let ya drive it.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

driving.gif
That has got to be an absolute riot!..

Realgun

Commander

Wow thats nice but I don't even like roller coasters.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I'd pay the $350 only IF I could see forward.<br />I wanna see that wall coming up. :) <br /><br />Sounds like a great time. Did your daughter take a spin too?

aspeck

Staff member

I can only hope my daughter grows up like that! CUHL!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Don't get the impression that I laid out $350 for the ride. Our IRL host was most generous.<br /><br />And my daughter did not ride - I did not ask - but I suspect that, like roscoe, she would only be happy if she were up front. She has a natural lead foot. She is a great gal and we are very proud of her.<br /><br />If you have an interest in checking out this program go here:<br /><br />www.sindenracing.com