A well-regulated militia...

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." <br />--Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States<br /><br />Where's the well-regulated militia when you need it? [edited for clarity: That's a rhetorical question, I know the National Guard is now on the job.]<br /><br />"...looters and armed mobs were roaming the streets of the flooded city."<br />"...a Chinook helicopter was shot at Thursday while trying to evacuate people."<br />"A private ambulance service says it is being hindered in its efforts to evacuate patients from New Orleans hospitals by the lawlessness in the city...trying to evacuate some 2,000 patients from hospitals...including dozens of critically ill babies...."<br />"Our command station about an hour ago had the generator stolen off the back of it. We've had an ambulance turned over."<br /> cnn.com <br /><br />NRA activists take note: this is what happens when you have zero gun control. There's an element of society that seriously needs to be deprived of firearms. <br /><br />Anybody who takes offense to this needs to state clearly that they oppose all forms of gun control including licensing, national background checks, and ban on automatic weapons. Otherwise we are in agreement.<br /><br />How about this: make gun ownership contingent upon membership in a well-regulated militia. Just a thought.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: A well-regulated militia...

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> How about this: make gun ownership contingent upon membership in a well-regulated militia. Just a thought.
A dumb one at that jtexas, especially from a Texan. In case you hadn't noticed the "well regulated militia" is under Federal control. Not exactly what the Founders had in mind when they stated our "inalienable rights' to own firearms as individual citizens.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

hey boomer, don't hold back, tell me what you really think. :) <br /><br />a dumb idea...maybe...or maybe not.<br /><br />I wasn't talkin about the National Guard (question: do guardsmen furnish their own firearms? not being a smart-a55, I really don't know).<br /><br />Just 'cause no other "well-regulated militia" exist today don't mean there shouldn't be. Or couldn't be. If the White House, the Supreme Court, and the NRA threw their combined weight behind the idea it would have a shot at success.<br /><br />In the Declaration of Independence the "Founders" acknowleged unalienable rights to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." Nothing about firearms.<br /><br />The Constitution guarantees the right to bear arms for a particular purpose. Don't ignore the first half of the 2nd Amendment...it's not just an offhand comment thrown in at the last minute.<br /><br />Don't you think the wording was carefully considered and debated? If they meant it to be an unalienable right they could have said so.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Wow, I almost broke my neck with this spin.<br /><br />I guess it never occured to you that these idiots obtained these weapons from homes and business.<br /><br />There is only one form of gun control that is 100% effective. Destroy every single gun on this planet. Aint gonna happen.<br /><br />Ken

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

jtexas, absolutely everywhere else, in the Constitution, the the word 'people' is used, it is done so refering to 'people' as individuals not as people corporately. Don't you think that the Founders were capable of that consistancy?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Sorry about your neck, Ken.<br /><br />I agree - no gun control stops what's happening today, I just think it illustrates what happens when folks who ought not be allowed anywhere near firearms get their hands on 'em.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> jtexas, absolutely everywhere else, in the Constitution, the the word 'people' is used, it is done so refering to 'people' as individuals not as people corporately. Don't you think that the Founders were capable of that consistancy?
sorry, I don't get your point

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

In a situation such as we have in NO, it is my understanding that the national guard falls under the command and control of the governor of said state, and all federal assistance is liaisoned with FEMA.<br />FEMA acts only at the declaration of disaster by the president.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"NRA activists take note: this is what happens when you have zero gun control."<br /><br />Zero gun control? Another liberal myth.<br /><br />Those scum got those guns by BREAKING EXISTING LAWS. Stealing guns has always been against the law. <br /><br />Were I there any of them who sought to prey on me or mine would find out how well I control my guns.<br /><br />NRA Expert Rifleman at age 10. THAT is gun control.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

JB, I agree - no gun control stops what's happening today, I just think it illustrates what happens when folks who ought not be allowed anywhere near firearms get their hands on 'em.<br /><br />
Were I there any of them who sought to prey on me or mine would find out how well I control my guns.<br /><br />NRA Expert Rifleman at age 10. THAT is gun control.
This is what I'm saying...guns should be in the hands of people like you. But not in just anybody's hands.