A Tragedy - 2 more Soldiers Killed

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer
2 U.S. soldiers, and 2 Iraqi civilians were killed in attacks today.<br /><br />I got thinking. Since the war started a year ago, has Bush attended a funeral for any of the fallen soldiers?

18rabbit

Captain
Re: A Tragedy - 2 more Soldiers Killed

It doesn't work that way, Toad. I suggest not even going there.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

WHY SHOULDN'T IT WORK THAT WAY?????

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

One of the more shallow memes of the current war goes like this:<br /><br />"Isn't it shameful that President Bush hasn't attended the funerals of very many of the service men who have fallen in this war?"<br /><br />Anyone who thinks very hard about this knows this is an incredibly shallow criticism. Otherwise, the great Generals and Presidents of history, such as Roosevelt, Eisenhower, MacAurther, Patton, Lincoln, and Grant would have never done anything with their time except attend funerals.<br /><br />Still, if you need to know what history shows, then ask a veteran. As Gulf War veteran John Cole notes, no President has ever regularly attended military funerals. <br /><br />That's right. Franklin Roosevelt didn't. Harry Truman didn't. Dwight Eisenhower didn't. John F. Kennedy didn't. Lyndon Johnson didn't. Richard Nixon didn't. Ford and Carter didn't. Reagan attended more than most Presidents ever did, but still usually didn't. Bush the Elder usually didn't. Clinton did a couple of times, but mostly didn't. <br /><br />What if we go all the way back to Presidents like Abraham Lincoln, or George Washington? Turns out that they didn't either.<br /><br />Why? Because if they did, they would do almost nothing else. <br /><br />The President of the United States is the leader of hundreds of millions of people. Part of his job is to command hundreds of thousands of people in the military. The next time you vote for a President, I hope you think very hard about that, because that's one of the most important things any President ever does.<br /><br />But one thing he generally doesn't do is attend the funeral of every fallen service man. Mind you, a good one wishes he could attend every such funeral. A good one feels it like a knife in his gut every time a soldier falls. But he can't be there every time a soldier falls. He just can't.<br /><br />If you don't understand that, then, to be blunt, you lack maturity

Ralph 123

Captain

Your best post ever SBN. So well said.<br /><br />I would just point out the Hillary didn't attend any 911 funerals does that make her a bad person too?<br /><br />The polarization and break down of honest debate and civility in this country is going to end badly.

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

One of the worst things a leader with such responsibility can do is to become too emotionally involved.<br />Great, now some of you may be pissed off, and think its cold.<br />It is. The world is. If you don't think you could ever understand, perhaps you should REALLY look at at the world a bit more, not through colored glasses.<br />Some of the worst decisions ever made by those with great responsibility were macro/large scale decisions influenced by the emotional effects of in the trench pictures, ceremonies, etc. How about you do a little reading on such events/people as Trieste, Chamberlain, Sun-Tzu, the Ssu-Ma, Battle of the Bulge, FDR/Manhattan Project, "Hamburger Hill", Normandy, and even Lebanon in the 1980s, just to name a few of many excellent examples. Many more HUMANS perished than necessary based on off-the-cuff decisions derived from emotional micro-effects in the above circumstances (and many more). Another very recent example of this was President Clinton's staff intentionally shielding the President from the details of atrocities in Rwanda, so we would not get involved in that morass on emotional grounds. His staff failed him in that regard in Somalia, where we got involved and you had the "Blackhawk Down" incident." President Clinton's emotional response (bodies dragged through the street in gruesome detail) from the "Blackhawk Down" incident subsequentally resulted in our immediate withdrawal from Somalia. Upon this, it can be construed, the terrorists (particularly UBL/AQ which was directly involved in Somalia) came to a reasonable conclusion that we did not have the "stomach" for a fight, and that the US could be brought down by terrorism....and 9/11. <br />The President knows damn well that people have and will continue to die, that he is directly responsible, and that their is a tough job that must be done. Though he cannot remain out of touch, he must not allow himself to make off-the-cuff decisions based on individual tragedy but rather keep focused on the big picture of what must be done to save many, many, many more lives from oppression, torture, mass murder, and loss of freedom.

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer

Theres a massive difference between None, Any and All.<br />I didn't know the answer until this post, but I am surprised.<br />He apparently finds time to deliver presents to the children of prisoners serving time, at Christmas and spent 34 hours on a plane to go to Baghdad for 1 hour of Thanksgiving cheer with a few lucky soldiers, but I think it would take real balls to go to the funeral of one of the military personal you sent into combat to show your condolences to the family.<br />It would go a long way.<br />Our leader has been to each funeral for every Canadian killed in Afghanistan fighting the war against terror.

18rabbit

Captain

Toad, it doesn't work that way. I suggest you don't even go there.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Don't want to defend W., but in this day and age it would be a nightmare if the Prez were to attend a funeral... Security and all that goes with it.. Yikes! Airports practically shut down.. Roads closed for the Prez's motorcade to pass thru.. Totally impractical..<br /><br />It's always a mess when the Prez comes to town..

bubbakat

Captain

Toad I suggest you attend to what concerns you and not the public here,<br /> I normally don't post in these blatant attempts to get attention but you are about to open a can of worms you don't want opened. :mad: :mad: <br /><br /> BTW that was a well written piece Spinner and jimchere

SpinnerBait_Nut

Just one more point here and then I am done with this attempt of a troll.<br /><br />Think about it just a minute.<br />The last thing a family needs is all the TV cameras and reporters at a funeral.<br /><br />When I lost my brother in the 9/11 fiasco, I had to get the law to keep them away from me and my family. It was ridiculous.<br /><br />Now if your brother or sister got killed in military service, I'm sure you would not want all that there neither.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by rolmops:<br />I am a veteran.
Then you, more than anyone should know why they can't do it then.<br />Just stop and think for a minute.<br /><br />Think about something else besides dumping on the President for once.<br />Gezzzzz. :mad:

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer

How many memorials did Bush attend for 911, in particular?<br />It was after all, as we found out a horrific act of war...What some here agree is that he shouldn't get too emotionally involved. I agree he shouldn't let emotion run his mind and body, and ultimately the country but to show emotion when troops don't return, or stand by the families stricken by the world's most terrifying and devastating events ever witnessed, should BOTH be OK. IMO.<br />How can people get pissed with me for saying this?<br />I wasn't trolling, but there are some here who seem to call everything they don't agree with a troll. I asked an honest question from the start.<br />Now theres a bit of debate, which I consider healthy. If you don't like the topic, air yours, or don't. Unless things have changed around here I don't see why anyone has the right to tell someone else not to post a particular topic.

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Toad, if Bush went to the funerals you and your commrads whould be pissin and moanin that he's doing it just for the publicity. I continue to be amazed a how low you libs. can get.

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer

No, publicity is when he lands AF1 beside the Daytona 500 to start them engines'.<br /><br /> :rolleyes:

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya, that also. And you have proven my point ;)

11 footer

Lieutenant

I got thinking. Since the war started a year ago, has Bush attended a funeral for any of the fallen soldiers?
Healthy debate my butt, what a clear troll if I've ever seen one.<br /><br />You don't even live here, what do you care? It should like your happy up their, please stay.

JB

Intended or not, you posted what looks like a really dirty cheap shot at our President, Toad.<br /><br />This thread has nowhere to go but down, so I am closing it.