A Test Tach for Small Outboards

John_S

Rear Admiral
Using a test tach for setting idle speed and verifing wot rpm range is within spec is essential for any boat/motor. On small outboards it can be a pain buying or setting up. While some generic tachs can work with multiple motors, some like older Nissans/Tohatsus, can be finicky, and only like the expensive oem tachs. Then you have to mount and run a power lead.

I picked up a one wire digital tach/hour meter last winter, when I was working on a new to me vintage snowmobile. It works by picking up the pulse in the high tension lead. You just wrap the wire around, and a little electrical tape to hold. Plans included though, using on my small outboards, not just the snowmobile.

Earlier, I ran this tach on my 25hp 2 stroke Merc, and over the weekend on my Nissan 40C. While the Merc fires on every stroke, the Nissan fires at the top and bottom of each stroke. The tach was configurable and handled both. Also has 4 stroke setting for one pulse for 2 revolutions.

It also has a fast/slow update mode. Slow helps for idle speed adjustments where the digital number can jump around. It also has a noise hi/lo feature, which I haven't need to use.

The tach can be found in the link below. I purchased mine, new, off ebay for around $32 w/shipping. So far it has been a great multi-engine tach, and thought it would be of interest to others.

http://trailtech.net/tto_tach-hour.html

Trail Tech or Works Connection, tach is same.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: A Test Tach for Small Outboards

Does that tach have a battery that is replaceable?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: A Test Tach for Small Outboards

Has a internal long life battery, that lasts very long years. It's not replaceable unless you are a skilled surgeon to split open the tach's case which is sealed and change internal bat. If you have space on front engine pannel, attach a induction tach, very usefull to check engine's min, max rpm factory parameters to play with different prop pitches for different boating applications, adjust idle rpm, check engine rpm's while cruisng for best fuel economy and totall hour count for scheduled preventive maintenances. Are affordable and a breeze to install, a must have, buy one inmediately.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Tach Hour-2.JPG
    Tach Hour-2.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 0