a starting place to id a merc 115????

skeeterFever

Cadet
hi guys im new here, been reading for days......im stuck

i dont know were to begin to identify my engine..

1 i have a 1986 skeeter starfire- i can find my boat vin..

2 the engine on it is a mercury 115....electronic egnition -no distributor

i cant find any plate.

3 the only numbers i did find was on block below middle carb--971-7328..

and other side were the spark plugs is a number- 1023 5068..

guys any help at all to a complete noob would be greatfuly apreciated..'''

will any of these numbers help u to help me .....i dont know the year or anything to begin my task of familiarizing myself...

thank you guys.... ]

ask me anything to look for to help you in return....

daveswaves

Ensign
Re: a starting place to id a merc 115????

hi guys im new here, been reading for days......im stuck

i dont know were to begin to identify my engine..

1 i have a 1986 skeeter starfire- i can find my boat vin..

2 the engine on it is a mercury 115....electronic egnition -no distributor

i cant find any plate.

3 the only numbers i did find was on block below middle carb--971-7328..

and other side were the spark plugs is a number- 1023 5068..

guys any help at all to a complete noob would be greatfuly apreciated..'''

will any of these numbers help u to help me .....i dont know the year or anything to begin my task of familiarizing myself...

thank you guys.... ]

ask me anything to look for to help you in return....

The serial number is located on a plate riveted to the transom clamp, with that we can tell you the year. Since it does not have a distributor then it is 1979 or newer. If you have the integrated trim and tilt it is likely mid 80's.

skeeterFever

Cadet

thank you DAVESWAVES, im getting closer then......yes it has integrated tilt , trim......

its dark now, so tomorow i will search that thing all over for that id plate ...

thank you for the advice so far.....i just did not know where to begin without asking on here.

this boat is in superb condition ,well taken care of......and im gonna asume this engine is origional to it,,,,,80 ish..... but the engine is so clean and well maintained....

i will find that tag tomorow if it kills me........AS I NEED THE YR AND MODEL SO I CAN GET MANUALS TO FAMILIARIZE MYSELF...

FIRST BOAT OWNER..

AGAIN THANKS FOR THE FIRST STEP FORWARD..

AND AS TIME GOES I HOPE TO MAKE SOME FRIENDS , I WILL HAVE A TON OF QUESTIONS ......AND A TON MORE ON SAFTEY.

skeeterFever

Cadet

ok man i looked like you said......and i found a black n silver stamped plate.......the number stamped is 5505618.....

look normal,, were to go from here..]

thanks again

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is it a 4 or 6 cylinder? Might want to post a picture of the motor if you can.
That SN is not right for 86, but does fit a late 70's 6 cylinder.
Wouldn't be the first older outboard installed on an older boat when the original went bad.

skeeterFever

Cadet

Is it a 4 or 6 cylinder? Might want to post a picture of the motor if you can.
That SN is not right for 86, but does fit a late 70's 6 cylinder.
Wouldn't be the first older outboard installed on an older boat when the original went bad.

i will get pics up asap.....that being said it is a 6 cylinder.merc 115..

i just looked up the id and says its a 1979...{granted as said im very new and all this info is hard to decipher for me..

im guessing it is an older engine replaced on newer boat...

I ASSUMED IT WAS A NEWER MODEL FROM HOW CLEAN AND HOW EXTREMLY WELL IT RUNS.....SIMPLY SHOCKS ME.....

so far i found with my searches that its a 79,,,,,,maybe kept up,, or maybe freshly put back together before the install...and before i took ownership.
ive read alot here inj the past week, pretty much many hrs a day... seems the older merc is a very great machine when taken care of and run within its bounderies..

CAN ANYONE ELSE CHIME IN AND GIVE ME MORE INFO ON THIS ENGINE.....
ANY AND EVERYTHING THAT EACH WISHES TO WRITE........I LOVE TO READ, I WANT TO LEARN,, AND WITH MY LITTLE KNOWLEDGE SO FAR , THE SEARCH BUTTON ISNT HELPING MUCH YET....

skeeterFever

Cadet

LITTLE TID BIT SINCE IM NEW HERE.

how good of a deal did i get?? 1986 SKEETER STARFIRE METALFLAKE DARK GREYISH BLACK

i knew the guy that owned this boat for about 5 yrs... he just bought a new ranger and sold this skeeter to my friend......say 3 months ago.

my friend lost his job, i paid 500 for the skeeter last week....trailer boat n engine......

he gave me 4 pfds,still in the bag,a paddle, whistle, and motorguide 54 troling motor with gator maount,,,still in the box,, with recipt and waranty card{499.99}
2 new marine batteries and ship n shore charger....

i think the boat is imaculate and well taken care of.....upholstry was shot and carpet done.....

i recarpeted all decs and lids, and looks sweet.......and just bought 2 new driver n pass seats....and 2 on pole fishing but seats..{bar stool type with single pole.

i took old troll of and installed new troll and i love her...

i got a great boat for the price of the trolling motor he threw in.

NOW I JUST NEED ALL THE INFO I CAN TO LEARN ABOUT WHAT I GOT AND HOW TO KEEP IT IN OPTIMAL SHAPE...

SORRY LIKE I SAID I LOVE TO READ AND WRITE.....

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Out here in California that would be an illegal motor. The goofy smog laws out here say you can replace a motor only with the same year or newer. For the life of me I can't figure out what you would do if you bought a new boat and wanted to use your old motor. If you read the law by the letter you can't do it.

skeeterFever

Cadet

Out here in California that would be an illegal motor. The goofy smog laws out here say you can replace a motor only with the same year or newer. For the life of me I can't figure out what you would do if you bought a new boat and wanted to use your old motor. If you read the law by the letter you can't do it.

true,, i dont know.......maybe it is a 79 eng on a 86 boat..

maybe he destroyed the origional engine and had this 1 to replace it..

maybe i messed up the id number i will recheck..

is ther a huge difference in a 1979-1986-----

its definatly a great engine and i would have chosen it if it was available if i didnt have a working engine at his time.{if i knew enough about them}

i swear it looks almost better than the boat- extremly clean and smooth and loads of power,,

maybe he destroyed the original and found this one rebuilt- but i dont see any wrench marks on any head bolts or on any other part except the starter.

1 more thing_the owner before me rarey used the engine- just trolling moter--here in salem indiana, almost all lakes are gas engine prohibited,,,,,except for patoka and monroe and the realy big lakes- all local lakes we use are used for our water sources,,,,,,etc you know what im saying

daveswaves

Ensign

true,, i dont know.......maybe it is a 79 eng on a 86 boat..

maybe he destroyed the origional engine and had this 1 to replace it..

maybe i messed up the id number i will recheck..

is ther a huge difference in a 1979-1986-----

its definatly a great engine and i would have chosen it if it was available if i didnt have a working engine at his time.{if i knew enough about them}

i swear it looks almost better than the boat- extremly clean and smooth and loads of power,,

maybe he destroyed the original and found this one rebuilt- but i dont see any wrench marks on any head bolts or on any other part except the starter.

1 more thing_the owner before me rarey used the engine- just trolling moter--here in salem indiana, almost all lakes are gas engine prohibited,,,,,except for patoka and monroe and the realy big lakes- all local lakes we use are used for our water sources,,,,,,etc you know what im saying

Skeeter you get an A+ for enthusiasm:). See if you can post a picture of your engine. The serial number indicates a 79. If the trim and tilt hydraulics are located on the outside of the transom clamp then it is a standard set up for a 79. If the trim tilt is between the transom clamps then it is likely a mid 80's lower unit with a rebuilt power head on it.