A small catch

bubbakat

Captain
Taken sunday afternoon on woods about 20 miles from my house.<br />Caught 12 of these beauties.<br />Red and white grubs, drop shoting<br /><br /><br />
DSC00003_0001.jpg

NathanY

Commander
Re: A small catch

In a couple years that woulda been a good fish. :D <br />Just kidding, how deep where they? are the spawning up there yet?<br />The males have moved up and started making nests here, but females are still deep.

bubbakat

Captain

About 12 feet nate and they were trying to hit anything moving. They weren't traveling to far though. Going back again this week end.

walleyehed

Admiral

Nice white there, bubbakat!<br />about 2 weeks ago we had a few whites and blacks in some of our walleye nets and usually we just toss them back in, but we had one that was about as large as I have seen for quite some time so I kept her in the tank and measured and weighed her when we were done with the walleye that night....18-1/2" and 4lbs 3ozs...released unharmed..<br />Only the second Crappie I've seen over 4, and man, they have some shoulders!!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yum! :D

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

great looking fish bubbakat! <br /><br />Up here those 12 would be on the wall in a stringer or driftwood mount!<br /><br /><br />What was the length on that one?..

walleyehed

Admiral

roscoe, I work part-time for Kansas wildlife and parks in fisheries management, and from March 15 to April 12th, we set trap nets for spawning walleye to collect eggs for the hatcheries here.<br />About half of the eggs we collect go to the hatcheries for the purpose of creating Saugeye.<br />We catch just about every spieces of fish in these 4 lakes we net in my district. sometimes you get some things you don't want in the trap nets, like big snappers...they tend to be a bit hard on things...

bubbakat

Captain

Barlow to answer your question What was the length on that one? I would have to guess.<br /><br /> My friend and I that is holding the fish measured all of them but when we got home we just picked one out to take a pic.<br />We had 12 and the smallest was 13 inches and about 2.5 lbs I think. <br />They were from 13 long to 15.5 3.6 lbs was the heavest.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

that fish ain't 2.5 now really bubba... <br />about 1lb maybe?<br /><br />hey don't fret, I envy yur tiny fish really ;)

gonfishn

Commander

Its not the same friend that that you threw the keys at the boat and Missed huh Bubba :eek: <br /><br />Invite MY to your place next year bubba and then get even.. :D

gonfishn

Commander

My measuring stick and digital is fine..Its my camera thats on the blink..This really was a 48 incher but I was standing way back and it looks smaller than it really is.. :D Or if the truth be know my friend had some really bigggggg hands..<br /><br />
littlemusky2.jpg

TwoWatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awww. He's so CUTE gf :p <br /><br /><br />That crappie looks weird to me. We mainly catch blacks up here... <br /><br />I'm finally going to get out tommorow & either Monday or Tuesday.....<br />Then last week of April I have off work, my plans include fishing & more fishing.<br /><br /><br />Edit: After re-looking at that crappie, I'm really surprised how different that is. Looks like the spawn of Satan. :D <br />It looks like a bass mated with a crappie & that was the result. Must be a TN thing....lol <br /><br />This fish was nice. The largest crappie I've caught this year... ( :rolleyes: ) It was about 13 inches. I let her go so I could catch it again.. actually, now I think about it, I haven't kept any fish this year.... still have fish in the freezer.<br />I wanted to post this to show the huge difference between the fish. <br /> <br />(click for larger pic)