A sad time for me!

LubeDude

Admiral
I just visited my parents, Step Dad is 82 and my mom is 90. They live in the same house still that I grew up in and they have finally desided to move into one of those big retirement places. Even though I know it is the best thing for them an Im happy for them in that respect, I cant imagine them not living in that house and it going on the market. I dont want the house, although it is a great house so I dont want to buy them out.<br /><br />Also there is the time that is going to be involved in moving them out. This is a 2600 sq ft home with a full unfinished attic and a full basement. Both filled with 50+ years of stuff. As you know, you cant take much with you to those places and I have a small place so cant take much myself. They would give me anything I wanted, but I have no place to store anything.<br /><br /> :( :( :(

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander
Re: A sad time for me!

LD<br />I know what you are going through, I've just recently had to help move my mother from the old family house into a smaller place.<br /><br />It took forever to sort every thing out, every box or cupboard you go through you find something that brings the memories back.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

I imagine that it is also very stressful for your parents on having to experience this sort of transition.<br /> :(

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

LD<br /><br />I've done it 3 times now - once when the folks downsized, once when Dad died and some 30 years later when Mom died. Each time was tough.<br /><br />My experience - about 75% of the stuff can be given to charities or tossed. The other 25% is full of treasures. I hear what you say about having a small place - just don't forget there are lots of self storage places around to hold treasures for future action.

LadyFish

Admiral

LD, sorry to hear this. Sell the junk and use the money to buy them airline tickets to a really neat place they always wanted to go but could never do it for whatever reason.<br /><br />Try to keep the treasures, they are priceless.<br /><br />It's always sad to lose the home you grew up in for all parties involved. They will more than likely become more active where they are moving. My grandparents did this and got really involved in all the goings on in their new little community.<br /><br />Good Luck!

aspeck

Staff member

Hey LD, been there, done that. Well, sort of. Mom walked away from house with everything in it and we moved in. When we knew it was time to move on, we were left with selling the house that Mom and Dad built 45 years earlier, with all the stuff that went along with it. I will tell you this, it is much better to sort through it when Mom is living and you have the chance to remember and laugh and cry with her. That will be one less thing you will have to "worry" about later.<br /><br />I don't mean that to sound cruel or cynical, let it be a joyous time. It is up to you and what you make of it. It is a moving on time, make it a fun time. Yes, you will miss the old home, but you will have the memories, and they are much easier to take care of and don't need repair. I cannot believe how wonderful our old home was now - and it gets better each year. Then memories get sweeter and richer.

LubeDude

Admiral

LF:<br /><br />They went to Hawaii about ten years ago and Mom said she might go back if they build a bridge, She didnt like flying and it was the one and only time she did it. They have been RVing for the last 20 years also and they are done with that and selling the pick-up and 5th wheel also. My mom is a very social person and will fit right in where ever she goes. My Dad would be better off if he stayed where he is. He dosent seem to realize how he is going to miss the place. He gets up in the mornings and makes the rounds outside, checks the creek in back for beavers and muskrats and the birds and the wood duck boxes for babies and his apple trees and feeds the squirels. He has a complete woodworking shop in the basement also. I think that the only reason they are going is that most of there freinds are in those places now. Mom says she is tired of cooking, well, they only get one meal where they are thinking about going and dad still drives so they could go out for dinner everyday if they wanted to, its only 5 miles to town. Aso its not like Dad couldnt cook once in awhile if the weather is bad and he doesnt want to drive.<br /><br />They can do what they want and deserve it. just not sure they have thought it through.<br /><br />They already have people doing the yardwork and cleaning the house.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmmm, LD. Try this:<br /><br />One basement plus one attic full of 50 years of junk and treasure. Buyer pickup only. See pix.<br /><br />Betcha eBay can get you enough for a trip to HI and clean the house out at the same time. :)

KaGee

Admiral

Been there, done that LD.... wore out the t-shirt. I understand and I empathize.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Do they have to sell it now? Seems like they could keep it for a while to just get away from those retirement places.<br /><br />My grandfather lived at home till he was no longer able to walk (stubborn old man). He fell off the roof when he was 88, somehow he wasnt hurt.<br /><br />Ken

crab bait

Captain

yeah,it's tuff.. it least they're together an still alive.. <br /><br />stuff is stuff.. <br /><br />keep your eye out for your old baseball cards.. matter-o-fact ,, WHERE DA HECK IS all of our baseball cards..??? <br /><br />NOT NO ONE i know has them when they were kids..!!<br /><br /><br />found some neat old metal whind-up/friction toys in my dead grandma's attic .. they were mine when i was over her house as a kid.. <br /><br />i'd leave an forget them an she'd throw 'em in an old basket an forgot 'um..<br /><br />have them on my mantel.. i remember when i found them..!! i about flipped.. <br /><br />whind-up chicken, police cars, rocket ship, atomic robotman,ect.. <br /><br />pretty neet.. an i remember mostof them as a kid..