A poem to ponder

one more cast

Captain
I borrowed this from another forum and thought some of you might enjoy it.....<br /><br /> The Cold Within<br /><br />Six humans trapped in happenstance<br />In dark and bitter cold,<br />Each one possessed a stick of wood,<br />Or so the story's told.<br /><br />Their dying fire in need of logs<br />The first woman held hers back,<br />For of the faces around the fire,<br />She noticed one was black.<br /><br />The next man looking across the way<br />Saw not one of his church,<br />And couldn't bring himself to give<br />The fire his stick of birch.<br /><br />The third one sat in tattered clothes<br />He gave his coat a hitch,<br />Why should his log be put to use,<br />To warm the idle rich?<br /><br />The rich man just sat back and thought<br />Of the wealth he had in store,<br />And how to keep what he had earned,<br />From the lazy, shiftless poor.<br /><br />The black man's face bespoke revenge<br />As the fire passed from sight,<br />For all he saw in his stick of wood<br />Was a chance to spite the white<br /><br />The last man in this forlorn group<br />Did naught except for gain,<br />Giving only to those who gave,<br />Was how he played the game.<br /><br />The logs held tight in death's still hands<br />Was proof of human sin,<br />They didn't die from the cold without,<br />They died from the cold within

iboater

Seaman Apprentice
Re: A poem to ponder

Unfortunately it can be all too true sometimes. <br />Good poem OMC.

one more cast

Captain

I don't know who the author is nor does the person I borrowed it from. edit:I did a search and found .....unknown author.

Link

Rear Admiral

Added: January 26, 2000 <br />Source: The poem was written by James Patrick Kinney in the mid 1970's <br />Author: James Patrick Kinney<br />Posted By: Christine Hill <br />Web Site: Aspiring To Greatness, A wonderful collection of spiritual material <br /><br />Dont ofcourse know how true this is but its what I found on a google search<br /><br />Link